Barry Sheerman’s voting in Parliament
Barry Sheerman is a Labour/Co-operative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour/Co-operative MPs.
However, Barry Sheerman sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Barry Sheerman generally voted against the hunting ban, while most Labour/Co-operative MPs almost always voted for.
Barry Sheerman generally voted for university tuition fees, while most Labour/Co-operative MPs generally voted against.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Barry Sheerman’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Barry Sheerman’s full vote analysis page for more.
Barry Sheerman has occasionally rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Labour/Co-operative MP for Huddersfield
Entered the House of Commons on 3 May 1979 — General election
Party was Labour/Co-operative until 11 Apr 2005; Labour until 30 Mar 2015
Also represented Huddersfield East
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Home Department
- Free Schools
- Home Education
- Offences against Children
Other offices held in the past
- Chair, Children, Schools and Families Committee (12 Nov 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Children, Schools and Families Committee (9 Nov 2007 to 12 Nov 2007)
- Member, Education & Skills Committee (5 Nov 2007 to 8 Nov 2007)
- Chair, Education & Skills Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 5 Nov 2007)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (21 Dec 1999 to 6 May 2010)
- Chair, Education Sub-committee (1 Dec 1999 to 11 May 2001)
- Member, Education Sub-committee (30 Nov 1999 to 1 Dec 1999)
- Shadow Spokesperson for Disabled Peoples' Rights (1 Jun 1992 to 1 Jun 1994)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Home Affairs) (1 Jun 1988 to 1 Jun 1992)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Education and Employment) (1 Jun 1983 to 1 Jun 1988)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (14 Apr 1981 to 8 Dec 1983)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 16 May 2016.
1. Employment and earnings
, a not for profit company promoting UK
competitiveness and parliamentary communication with industry and commerce. Address: CAN
Mezzanine, 32-36 Loman Street, Southwark, SE1 0EH. Work includes chairing a diversity of meetings and advising on policymaking process. From June 2015
, paid £2,200 per month until further notice. Hours: 20 hrs per month. All payments donated directly to charity. (Updated 23 July 2015
17 April 2015
, received payment of £2,200 for work done in March 2015
. Hours 20 hrs. Fee donated directly to charity. (Registered 28 May 2015
17 May 2015, received payment of £2,200 for work done in April 2015. Hours 20 hrs. Fee donated directly to charity. (Registered 28 May 2015)
Member of Environmental Scrutiny Board of Veolia Environmental Services
(UK) plc; environmental waste management company. Address: Veolia House, 154a Pentonville Road, London, N1 9PE. Work includes attending meetings and providing advice on environmental issues.
30 May 2015, payment of £500 received for a speech made on 14 May 2015 from British Coatings Federation, Riverbridge House, Guildford, Surrey KT22 9AD. Hours: 3.5 hrs. Fee donated directly to charity. (Registered 17 July 2015)
16 July 2015, £300 received from the American Institute
for Foreign Study, Dilke House, Malet Street, London WC1E 7JN, for two talks. Hours: 1.5 hrs on 2 June 2015 and 2 hrs on 23 June 2015; total 3.5 hrs. Fee donated directly to charity. (Registered 31 July 2015)
2. (b) Any other support not included in Category 2
Name of donor: CARE
Address of donor: 53 Romney Street, London SW1P 3RF
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: services of a voluntary intern, for 4 days a week between 29 September 2014
and July 2015, who will receive a bursary of £650 per calendar month as a member of CARE’s educational Leadership Programme, total £6,500.
Date of receipt: 29 September 2014
Date of acceptance: 29 September 2014
Donor status: charity, registration 292506
(Registered 20 October 2014
6. Land and property: (i) value over £100,000 (ii) rental income of over £10,000 a year
Small one-bedroom flat in London: (i).
Chair of Trustees, Parliamentary Advisory Committee for Transport Safety (PACTS
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register