I rise to support new clause 2. It was interesting to listen to the hon. Member for Burton (Andrew Griffiths) and, for about two and a half seconds, I felt sorry for the pub companies. Are they really the great bastions of competition? No, of course they are not. They have lost the confidence of not only the landlords who are their tenants, but this House of Commons and the general public....
The concern is not warranted. If new clause 2 came in and tenants were able to choose what beers and ciders they had in their pubs, perhaps in addition to the pubs in south Wales that currently serve Brains beers, other pubs that do not but that are linked into the pubcos could do so. Far from hindering the progress or in some way destroying the profits of Brains, this liberating measure...
The hon. Member for Leeds North West made it perfectly clear—
More of Paul Murphy's recent appearances
Labour MP for Torfaen
Entered House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Work and Pensions
- Constituencies: Wales
- Personal Independence Payment
- Offenders: Fines
- Green Deal Scheme
Currently held offices
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (2 Feb 2010 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (14 Jan 2010 to 19 Jan 2010)
- Secretary of State, Wales Office (25 Jan 2008 to 10 Jun 2009)
- Chairman, Intelligence and Security (Cabinet Office) Committee (1 Nov 2005 to 31 Jan 2008)
- Secretary of State, Northern Ireland Office (24 Oct 2002 to 11 May 2005)
- Secretary of State, Welsh Office (28 Jul 1999 to 24 Oct 2002)
- Minister of State, Northern Ireland Office (5 May 1997 to 28 Jul 1999)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 14 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 10 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 68.63% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 14 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 62 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Paul Murphy’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 818 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 10 Nov 2014.
(b) Support in the capacity as an MP
(b) Address of donor: 39 Eccleston Sq, London SW1V 1BX
(b) Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: An educational allowance of £4,884 and accommodation will be provided for an intern in my parliamentary office for 10 months: October 2012–July 2013
(b) Date of receipt: 20 September 2012
(b) Date of acceptance: 3 October 2012
(b) Donor status: Registered charity
(b) (Registered 21 November 2012)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from