This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Paul Murphy’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Torfaen
- Entered Parliament on 11 June 1987 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Paul Murphy
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Paul Murphy voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted strongly for introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted moderately against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted moderately for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted moderately for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately against a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately for the hunting ban. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted very strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted very strongly for introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted very strongly for allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted moderately for automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Voted moderately for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted moderately for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Wales, Health, Treasury, Home Department, Transport
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Devolution, Constituencies: Wales, Offenders: Fines, Green Deal Scheme, Bill of Rights
(based on written questions asked by Paul Murphy and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Northern Ireland (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill Committee (2 out of 2)
- Justice and Security Bill Committee (8 out of 8)
- Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Written Answers — Wales: Older People: Crime Prevention (2 Dec 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Wales what assessment his Department has made of the recommendations of Age Cymru's Scams and Swindles campaign.”
- Written Answers — Business, Innovation and Skills: Older People: Crime Prevention (28 Nov 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills if he will implement the recommendations of Age Cymru's Scams and Swindles campaign.”
- Written Answers — Energy and Climate Change: Green Deal Scheme (28 Nov 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change what steps his Department is taking to tackle non-accredited Green Deal companies who exploit consumers.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 15 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 24 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 67.54% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 14 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 58 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Paul Murphy’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 790 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£14,294 (446th)||£20,536 (370th)||£18,421 (438th)||£15,282||£14,414 (495th)||£15,324 (464th)||£18,384 (402nd)||£16,169 (149th)|
|London costs||£0||£0||£0||£0||£1,618 (joint 1st with 118 others)||£1,574 (joint 1st with 101 others)||£1,527 (joint 1st with 101 others)||£1,227 (joint 1st with 81 others)|
|Office running costs||£14,598 (444th)||£17,774 (357th)||£17,629 (493rd)||£16,686||£18,525 (308th)||£18,799 (joint 13th with 178 others)||£15,744 (526th)||£24,352 (78th)|
|Staffing costs||£95,001 (333rd)||£93,617 (89th)||£84,808 (300th)||£85,067||£70,821 (295th)||£68,023 (joint 228th with 71 others)||£61,818 (453rd)||£35,556 (586th)|
|Communications Allowance||£13,603 (46th)||£9,433 (239th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£1,257 (606th)1||£4,864 (475th)2||£6,378 (375th)||£3,750||£0||£0||£880 (642nd)||£1,353 (619th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£1,885 (24th)||£2,072 (26th)||£584 (203rd)||£1,498||£86 (430th)||£985 (166th)||£424 (280th)||£414 (269th)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£2,233 (488th)||£472 (507th)||£216 (626th)||£615||£468 (joint 522nd with 1 other)||£362 (576th)||£411 (590th)||£1,010 (327th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£827 (585th)||£569 (joint 616th with 1 other)||£909||£849 (592nd)||£767 (599th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,328 (joint 152nd with 1 other)||£1,139 (193rd)||£137||£1,943 (joint 212th with 5 others)||£1,943 (joint 208th with 5 others)||£1,943 (joint 205th with 5 others)||£1,943 (joint 195th with 5 others)|
|Other Costs||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£3,449 (42nd)||£661 (47th)|
|Total||£142,871 (408th)||£150,923 (255th)||£129,744 (454th)||£123,944||£108,724 (561st)||£107,777 (536th)||£104,580 (494th)||£82,685 (448th)|