To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what estimate he has made of the number of Turkish citizens who have entered the UK under the terms of the Ankara Agreement; and if he will make a statement.
As you will know, Mr Speaker, it is the custom when we come to this place for a new Member to make a maiden speech. With your indulgence, I wonder if I might initiate a new genre tonight: the valedictory speech. I have been in this place 23 years. I hope that, during that time, I have left the occasional footprint in the sand, but I am under no illusion. Only a handful of those of us who...
I defer to my right hon. Friend. We are on our ninth or 10th Prisons Minister. I was the sixth Africa Minister and the current incumbent is the ninth. That does not make for good government. I turn briefly to our 24-hour media. The free flow of information is the lifeblood of democracy, but I do wonder if we politicians have not gone too far in trying to ride the tiger. Perhaps future Prime...
More of Chris Mullin's recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Sunderland South
Entered House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Left Parliament on 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Sudan: War Crimes
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Committee on Reform of the House of Commons (10 Aug 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Standards and Privileges Committee (18 Jan 2006 to 11 May 2010)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Foreign & Commonwealth Office (13 Jun 2003 to 11 May 2005)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for International Development (26 Jan 2001 to 11 Jun 2001)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions (28 Jul 1999 to 26 Jan 2001)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 20 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 21 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 83.15% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 7 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 55 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 647 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 12 Apr 2010.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession, etc.
Royalties and film rights from four books written between 1982-7.
Payments from Profile Books
. Publisher address: 3A Exmouth House, Pine Street, Exmouth Market, London, EC1R 0JH.
Royalties of £5,474 from Profile Books. No additional hours worked. (Registered 23 June 2009)
Fee from Profile Books, an advance on a new edition of 'A Very British Coup
'. (Actual £1,000) (Up to £5,000) (Registered 18 May 2009)
Fee from Dan Films for an option on the TV
rights for 'A Very British Coup'. (Actual £1,750) (Up to £5,000) (Registered 18 May 2009)
Payment from BBC Radio
4 for the serialisation of 'A View from the Foothills'. (Actual £2,100) (Up to £5,000) (Registered 22 May 2009)
£900 for writing an article. (Registered 9 June 2009)
£900 for writing an article. (Registered 26 August 2009)
£1200 for article published on 27 December 2009. (Registered 15 March 2010)
Payment for an article in the London Review of Books. (Actual £900) (Up to £5,000) (Registered 22 June 2009)
8. Land and Property
Basement flat in my home in Sunderland.
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from