Alan Meale’s voting in Parliament
Alan Meale is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
However, Alan Meale sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Alan Meale generally voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system, while most Labour MPs generally voted for.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Alan Meale’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Alan Meale’s full vote analysis page for more.
Alan Meale has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
The hon. Gentleman’s analogies are interesting. He talks about amateur backyard ventures by parents and huge displays at community events such as we have had at Westminster. Back-garden displays are likely to keep children up and not going to school the following day, as indeed are the very large bangs from organised professional displays. The one thing we all know, which is why we are...
It is bizarre that we are here in the Palace of Westminster discussing whether we should have large bangs and firework displays when we all know that they came about only because of a guy called Guy Fawkes who initiated it all.
Does my hon. Friend agree that there is another problem involving the sale of fireworks? People buy imported goods that do not fall under the protections normally afforded in the European Union and in this country. They import a lot of illicit goods and sell them at certain times of the year to the public, who do not know how dangerous they are. That adds to the problems at those times of year.
More of Alan Meale’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Mansfield
Entered the House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Trade and Industry
- NHS: Public Participation
- Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme
- Health Services (Nottinghamshire)
- Mansfield Benefit Centre
- Agricultural Workers
Currently held offices
- Member, Panel of Chairs (since 24 Jan 2011)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Draft Voting Eligibility (Prisoners) Bill Committee (4 Mar 2013 to 16 Dec 2013)
- Chair, Crossrail Bill Committee (13 Dec 2005 to 13 Nov 2007)
- Member, Crossrail Bill Committee (5 Dec 2005 to 13 Dec 2005)
- Member, Draft Gambling Bill (Joint Committee) (10 Jul 2003 to 22 Jul 2004)
- Member, Court of Referees (1 Jul 1999 to 1 Jul 2002)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Environment) (28 Jul 1998 to 29 Jul 1999)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (1 Jul 1992 to 1 Jul 1994)
- Member, Home Affairs Committee (19 Dec 1989 to 16 Mar 1992)
- Member, European Legislation Sub-Committee I (12 Jul 1989 to 10 Jan 1990)
- Member, European Legislation Committee (9 Feb 1988 to 15 Dec 1989)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 9 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Alan Meale’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Responsiveness to messages sent via WriteToThem.com in 2015: WriteToThem had possibly bad contact details for this MP.
- Has voted in 53.79% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 2 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 100 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Alan Meale’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 239 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 6 Jun 2016.
2. (b) Any other support not included in Category 2
Name of donor: John Meale
Address of donor: private
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £7,000 pa use of office space
Date of receipt: January 2012
; renewed January 2013
(arrangement has continued since January 2001
Date of acceptance: January 2012
Donor status: individual
(Registered 24 January 2012; updated 25 February 2013
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
I employ my spouse, Diana Gilhespy, as part-time Senior Parliamentary Assistant.
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from