This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on John McDonnell’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Hayes and Harlington
- Entered Parliament on 1 May 1997 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by John McDonnell
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How John McDonnell voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration. votes
- Voted very strongly against replacing Trident. votes
- Voted very strongly for the hunting ban. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted moderately for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted very strongly for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted very strongly against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted strongly against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Has never voted on a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted very strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted strongly against a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted very strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted very strongly against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Sometimes rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Select Committee membership
- Member, Justice Committee (since 25 Nov 2013)
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Transport, Justice, Home Department, Communities and Local Government, Work and Pensions
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Departmental Pay, Fire Services, National Offender Management Service, Departmental Sustainable Development, Departmental Manpower
(based on written questions asked by John McDonnell and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Superannuation bill Committee (4 out of 4)
- Autism Bill Committee (2 out of 3)
- Rights of Savers Bill Committee (0 out of 2)
- Written Answers — Communities and Local Government: Planning Inspectorate (12 Dec 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government how many planning inspectors there were in the Planning Inspectorate in each year since 2008.”
- Written Answers — Communities and Local Government: Planning Permission: Appeals (11 Dec 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what the average length of time involved in the processing and determination of planning appeals by the Planning Inspectorate was in each year since 2008.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 78 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 150 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 69.95% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 15 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 171 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on John McDonnell’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 938 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0|
|London costs||£2,861 (51st)||£2,812 (joint 1st with 47 others)||£2,712 (joint 1st with 46 others)||£2,613||£1,618 (joint 1st with 118 others)||£1,574 (joint 1st with 101 others)||£1,527 (joint 1st with 101 others)||£1,227 (joint 1st with 81 others)|
|Office running costs||£22,602 (98th)||£21,150 (167th)||£20,407 (315th)||£19,383||£19,325 (joint 11th with 77 others)||£18,781 (270th)||£18,234 (joint 1st with 183 others)||£23,157 (101st)|
|Staffing costs||£94,218 (353rd)||£90,505 (joint 183rd with 5 others)||£87,309 (152nd)||£84,669||£77,534 (joint 77th with 6 others)||£74,568 (55th)||£70,545 (69th)||£48,018 (244th)|
|Communications Allowance||£9,052 (306th)||£8,757 (293rd)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£2,360 (567th)1||£3,807 (522nd)2||£3,250 (546th)||£2,969||£3,989 (569th)||£4,589 (538th)||£2,743 (594th)||£3,219 (552nd)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£6,949 (joint 43rd with 1 other)||£1,878 (37th)||£2,178 (85th)||£5,342||£6,716 (11th)||£7,018 (4th)||£8,519 (2nd)||£3,837 (9th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£4,990 (59th)||£7,022 (82nd)||£15,489||£19,477 (13th)||£22,879 (4th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,281 (215th)||£1,043 (joint 353rd with 5 others)||£962||£1,979 (joint 105th with 8 others)||£1,979 (joint 98th with 8 others)||£1,979 (joint 97th with 8 others)||£1,979 (joint 94th with 8 others)|
|Total||£138,041 (479th)||£135,180 (473rd)||£123,921 (519th)||£131,427||£130,638 (178th)||£131,388 (97th)||£103,547 (506th)||£81,437 (466th)|