I heard what the Minister for Borders and Immigration said earlier about the new visa arrangements for English language schools, but may I just point out that last Thursday I met a young man from Taiwan who was studying English in this country preparatory to going to Sheffield Hallam university and who will need four or possibly even five visas to achieve that? Indeed, under the new...
May we have a debate about the bidding war that is currently going on between the Government and the Conservative Front Benchers over who can set the highest standards for secondary school results and tackle the issue of secondary attainment? It would give me an opportunity to point out that in my constituency, I have seen secondary standards transformed in recent years. For the first time on...
On a point of order, Mr. Speaker. I do not know whether you noticed in this morning's obituary columns the passing of Andrée Peel, who was known as "agent X" in the second world war and saved the lives of many hundreds of allied servicemen before being tortured and put in a concentration camp. There seems to be no clear mechanism by which Members can pay their respects to the passing of...
More of Stephen Ladyman’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for South Thanet
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 12 April 2010 — General election (stood again)
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Communities and Local Government
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Health Bill
Other offices held in the past
- Chairman, South East Regional Select Committee (11 Mar 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, South East Regional Select Committee (4 Mar 2009 to 11 Mar 2009)
- Minister of State, Department for Transport (11 May 2005 to 28 Jun 2007)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department of Health (13 Jun 2003 to 11 May 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 20 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 58 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 82.76% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 14 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 41 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 675 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 12 Apr 2010.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
Adviser to ITIS
Holdings Plc, Station House, Stamford New Road, Altrincham, Cheshire, WA14 1EP; a company selling traffic information. (£10,001-£15,000) Agreement terminated from 31 March 2010
Received £1,000 monthly retainer on 31 July 2009
. Hours: 8hrs. (Registered 31 July 2009)
Received £1,000 monthly retainer on 30 September 2009. Hours: 3hrs. (Registered 4 October 2009
Received £1,000 monthly retainer on 30 October 2009. Hours: 5hrs. (Registered 1 November 2009
Received £1,000 monthly retainer on 30 November 2009. Hours: 4 hrs. (Registered 1 December 2009
Received £1000 monthly retainer on 31 December 2009. Hours: 5 hrs. (Registered 4 January 2010
Received £1000 monthly retainer on 31 January 2010. Hours: 8 hrs. (Registered 1 February 2010
Received £1000 monthly retainer on 26 February 2010. Hours: 6 hrs. (Registered 28 February 2010)
Received £1000 monthly retainer on 30 March 2010. Hours: 5 hrs. (Registered 1 April 2010
5. Gifts, benefits and hospitality (UK
10 May 2009
, attendance at and participation in Thundersprint 2009. Race entry and exhibition space for the charity C.A.L.M (Campaign Against Living Miserably
) provided by Thundersprint; loan of Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R
motorcycle prior to and after the event by Kawasaki UK Ltd; use of Kawasaki MSS
Colchester Ninja 10-XR
Superbike and the support of their race team during the event by MSS Colchester; gift of an Arai motorcycle helmet to raise funds for C.A.L.M. by Phoenix Distribution Ltd. (Registered 20 May 2009)
8. Land and Property
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from