Under the provisions of Standing Order No. 1A, I am now required to ascertain whether Mr John Bercow is willing to be chosen as Speaker. I call Mr John Bercow.
(Urgent Question): To ask the Leader of the House to make a statement about the change in today’s business.
Is the right hon. Gentleman aware that this grubby decision is what he personally will be remembered for? After a distinguished career in the House of Commons, both as a leader of a party and as a senior Cabinet Minister, he has now descended to squalor in the final days of the Parliament. Without consultation, without consultation with the Opposition parties and without notifying the...
More of Gerald Kaufman’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Manchester, Gorton
Entered House of Commons on 18 June 1970 — General election
Also represented Manchester Ardwick
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Work and Pensions
- Members: Correspondence
- West Coast Railway Line
- Greater Manchester
Currently held offices
- Father of the House of Commons (since 7 May 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Speaker's Committee on the Electoral Commission (1 Jan 2003 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Chair, Culture, Media and Sport Committee (28 Jul 1997 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (27 Apr 1992 to 5 May 2005)
- Chair, National Heritage Committee (27 Apr 1992 to 21 Mar 1997)
- Member, Labour Party National Executive Committee (1 Jul 1991 to 1 Jul 1992)
- Shadow Secretary of State (Foreign Affairs) (10 Jul 1987 to 20 Sep 1992)
- Shadow Secretary of State (Home Office) (10 Nov 1983 to 10 Jul 1987)
- Shadow Secretary of State (Environment) (4 Nov 1980 to 9 Jun 1983)
- Minister of State (Department of Industry) (4 Dec 1975 to 4 May 1979)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Industry) (12 Jun 1975 to 4 Dec 1975)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Environment) (8 Mar 1974 to 12 Jun 1975)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 32 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 72 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- People have made 17 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 244 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Gerald Kaufman’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1626 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from