This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Alan Johnson’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Kingston upon Hull West and Hessle
- Entered Parliament on 1 May 1997 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Alan Johnson
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Alan Johnson voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted very strongly for allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted moderately for the hunting ban. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted moderately for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted very strongly for introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted moderately for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately for a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted very strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a smoking ban. votes
- Voted strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Voted very strongly for introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted strongly for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted very strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Home Department, Business, Innovation and Skills, Health, Communities and Local Government, Justice
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Police: Accountability, Icelandic-Water Trawlermen Compensation Scheme, Police: Finance, Antisocial Behaviour Orders, Identity Cards
(based on written questions asked by Alan Johnson and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Higher Education Bill Committee (13 out of 15)
- National Minimum Wage (Enforcement Notices) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Industrial Development (Financial Assistance) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Employment Bill Committee (17 out of 17)
- Oral Answers to Questions — Attorney-General: Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust (19 Nov 2013)
“We need total candour with regard to avoidable deaths. The only way to determine that is through an independent review of medical case notes by neutral clinicians. That exercise took place at Stafford. Will the Secretary of State remind us of the result?”
- Written Answers — Health: Mental Health Services: Young People (12 Nov 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Health how many days (a) under-16 year olds and (b) under-18 year olds spent on adult mental health wards in each region in each of the last five years.”
- In-Patient Mental Health Services (Children and Adolescents) (23 Oct 2013)
“Will the Minister give way?”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 13 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 5 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 61.19% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 69 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 102 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Alan Johnson’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1000 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£10,531 (499th)||£11,274 (544th)||£11,367 (547th)||£10,251||£10,704 (559th)||£12,612 (528th)||£13,628 (550th)||£11,331 (534th)|
|London costs||£0||£0||£0||£0||£1,618 (joint 1st with 118 others)||£1,574 (joint 1st with 101 others)||£1,527 (joint 1st with 101 others)||£1,227 (joint 1st with 81 others)|
|Office running costs||£8,644 (605th)||£16,346 (419th)||£7,421 (633rd)||£8,195||£9,829 (607th)||£7,111 (644th)||£6,742 (645th)||£3,176 (648th)|
|Staffing costs||£84,241 (533rd)||£84,210 (433rd)||£79,245 (468th)||£69,674||£61,425 (597th)||£57,853 (613th)||£61,105 (493rd)||£50,923 (144th)|
|Communications Allowance||£6,324 (430th)||£4,629 (476th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£8,177 (282nd)1||£7,763 (joint 311th with 1 other)2||£9,053 (267th)||£9,567||£13,725 (189th)||£13,022 (212th)||£12,305 (232nd)||£9,268 (256th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£1,443 (47th)||£996 (joint 104th with 1 other)||£634 (joint 188th with 1 other)||£1,439||£1,128 (161st)||£935 (joint 172nd with 1 other)||£0||£170 (joint 367th with 2 others)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£2,297 (joint 475th with 1 other)||£1,299 (130th)||£548 (512th)||£505||£330 (joint 581st with 1 other)||£916 (298th)||£395 (593rd)||£375 (594th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£4,055 (131st)||£1,647 (470th)||£1,779||£1,010 (573rd)||£2,937 (271st)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,139 (joint 432nd with 1 other)||£1,106 (joint 233rd with 2 others)||£779||£1,855 (389th)||£1,855 (joint 382nd with 1 other)||£1,855 (joint 373rd with 1 other)||£1,076 (545th)|
|Total||£121,656 (589th)||£131,711 (514th)||£111,021 (603rd)||£102,189||£101,624 (609th)||£98,815 (604th)||£97,557 (564th)||£77,546 (518th)|