This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Former Labour MP for Ashfield
- Entered Parliament on 9 April 1992 — General election
- Left Parliament on 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
- Majority: 10,213 votes. — 193rd out of 643 MPs.
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Geoff Hoon voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted moderately for the hunting ban. votes
- Voted moderately for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted very strongly for university tuition fees. votes
- Voted moderately for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted strongly for allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Has never voted on automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted strongly for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately for a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted very strongly for introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted very strongly for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted very strongly for introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted very strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted moderately for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in their last parliament.
Most recent appearances
- Written Answers — Transport: Departmental Billing (3 Jun 2009)
“The Department for Transport has only started to hold separate records for late payment of commercial debts since 2008-09. The interest cost for this year was £84,000. Information for the previous two years could be provided only at a disproportionate cost as the interest charge are not held separately for those years. The following agencies have not paid interest charges in the last...”
- Written Answers — Transport: Departmental Conditions of Employment (3 Jun 2009)
“The flexible benefits business plan is a confidential document so it would not be appropriate for it to be placed in the House Library. However, we estimate that the level of take-up required to break even with the scheme is about 2 per cent. over three years.”
- Written Answers — Transport: Departmental Security (3 Jun 2009)
“Information on breaches of security for the last five years for Department for Transport Agencies is not held centrally. The Department and its agencies report all significant personal data security breaches to the Cabinet Office and the ICO. Information on personal data security breaches is published on an annual basis in the Department's annual resource accounts as was announced in the Data...”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 1 debate in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 73.37% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 78 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 28 people are tracking this MP.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1739 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 12 Apr 2010. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£23,850 (82nd)||£23,083 (joint 1st with 142 others)||£21,995 (261st)||£14,921||£20,902 (joint 1st with 187 others)||£20,333 (joint 3rd with 149 others)||£19,722 (joint 1st with 230 others)||£14,162 (430th)|
|London costs||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£764 (114th)||£1,227 (joint 1st with 81 others)|
|Office running costs||£21,472 (151st)||£18,263 (334th)||£27,837 (44th)||£27,590||£19,325 (joint 11th with 77 others)||£18,799 (joint 13th with 178 others)||£17,417 (455th)||£23,027 (104th)|
|Staffing costs||£76,640 (592nd)||£65,379 (623rd)||£63,876 (618th)||£64,472||£53,830 (633rd)||£41,807 (654th)||£36,955 (656th)||£30,125 (630th)|
|Communications Allowance||£18,415 (13th)||£18,651 (6th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£9,018 (246th)1||£8,249 (joint 284th with 1 other)2||£6,297 (383rd)||£4,351||£3,042 (591st)||£3,753 (568th)||£5,034 (527th)||£4,953 (joint 470th with 1 other)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£278 (joint 248th with 2 others)||£343 (joint 258th with 1 other)||£0||£398||£660 (246th)||£128 (joint 400th with 4 others)||£121 (joint 408th with 1 other)||£110 (joint 399th with 2 others)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£966 (125th)||£465 (220th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£3,157 (joint 355th with 1 other)||£318 (575th)||£531 (519th)||£1,143||£365 (564th)||£37 (650th)||£824 (joint 420th with 1 other)||£0|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£1,414 (488th)||£2,050 (407th)||£3,997||£2,229 (370th)||£70 (649th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,240 (joint 273rd with 1 other)||£1,248 (63rd)||£570||£1,786 (joint 470th with 1 other)||£1,786 (joint 462nd with 1 other)||£1,539 (524th)||£1,216 (522nd)|
|Other Costs||£591 (86th)||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0|
|Total||£154,386 (271st)||£137,405 (444th)||£123,834 (520th)||£117,442||£102,139 (603rd)||£86,713 (639th)||£82,376 (641st)||£74,820 (joint 548th with 1 other)|