We had a rather unedifying debate in this House on tax evasion, but there has also been enormous public concern about the issue. May we have a debate on the role of audit? Large accountancy firms are being paid enormous amounts of money for external audit, yet they do not seem to notice what is happening in the banks and they do not seem to notice the tax arrangements of their corporate...
The Minister will know that the largest manufacturing industry in the country is food and drink, and that it has one of the biggest export potentials. Will he recognise that engineering disciplines that are ancillary to that industry also have enormous potential, whether it be agricultural engineering, food processing, food storage requirements or food transport. Will he look at technical...
A business in my constituency received a communication from Royal Mail the week before Christmas, saying that with effect from four business weeks later, the business reply and freepost service that it had used for 10 years was to be discontinued and it would have to re-register. The business was told that if the old address was used, there would be a 20p penalty per item and the item may not...
More of David Heath's recent appearances
Liberal Democrat MP for Somerton and Frome
Entered House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Departments: Advertising
- Post-Mortems: Children
Currently held offices
- Member, House of Commons Governance Committee
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (Commons)
Other offices held in the past
- The Minister of State, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (6 Sep 2012 to 7 Oct 2013)
- The Deputy Leader of the House of Commons (17 May 2010 to 6 Sep 2012)
- Shadow Leader of the House of Commons (8 Jan 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Leader of the House (8 Jan 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Justice Committee (18 Apr 2008 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Justice Committee (26 Mar 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State (20 Dec 2007 to 1 Mar 2008)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Justice & Lord Chancellor, Ministry of Justice (4 Jul 2007 to 6 Mar 2008)
- Shadow Leader of the House of Commons, Cabinet Office (10 Jan 2007 to 4 Jul 2007)
- Shadow Leader of the House of Commons & Shadow Cabinet Office Minister, Cabinet Office (21 Mar 2006 to 10 Jan 2007)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Constitutional Affairs (Also Shadow Leader of the House of Commons), Constitutional Affairs (19 Oct 2005 to 21 Mar 2006)
- Shadow Leader of the House of Commons (Also Shadow Secretary of State for Constitutional Affairs) (19 Oct 2005 to 21 Mar 2006)
- Member, Modernisation of the House of Commons Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 4 May 2006)
- Member, Modernisation of the House of Commons (13 Jul 2005 to 2 May 2006)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Cabinet Office) (1 Jun 2005 to 1 Jun 2007)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Constitutional Affairs & Shadow Leader of the House, Law Officers (Constitutional Affairs) (1 Jun 2005 to 21 Mar 2006)
- Shadow Leader of the House of Commons (1 Jun 2005 to 19 Oct 2005)
- Shadow Leader of the House of Commons (10 May 2005 to 20 Dec 2007)
- Member, Standards and Privileges Committee (to 11 Apr 2005)
- Science, Non-Departmental & Cross-Departmental Responsibilities (26 Jan 2004 to 1 Jun 2005)
- Shadow Minister (Constitutional Affairs), Law Officers (Constitutional Affairs) (26 Jan 2004 to 1 Jun 2005)
- Shadow Minister (Home Affairs), Home Affairs (26 Jan 2004 to 1 Jun 2005)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Home Affairs) (1 Jun 2002 to 1 Jun 2005)
- Member, Standards and Privileges (5 Nov 2001 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (Commons) (16 Jul 2001 to 10 Nov 2003)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Trade and Industry) (1 Jun 2001 to 1 Jun 2003)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Work and Pensions) (1 Jun 2001 to 1 Jun 2002)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (1 Jun 1999 to 1 Jun 2001)
- Member, Foreign Affairs: Entry Clearance Sub-Committee (29 Jan 1998 to 19 Nov 1998)
- Member, Foreign Affairs Committee (16 Jul 1997 to 1 Nov 1999)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs) (1 Jun 1997 to 1 Jun 1999)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 64 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 3 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 83.13% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 32 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 104 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on David Heath’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1841 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 9 Feb 2015.
From 21 January 2015, Member of the Board, Solicitors Regulation Authority, 2nd Floor, 24 Martin Lane, London EC4R 0DR. Annual salary of £12,500 for an expected time commitment of at least 20 days per year. (Registered 23 January 2015)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from