This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Alan Haselhurst’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for Saffron Walden
- Also represented Middleton and Prestwich
- Changed party from Conservative on 16 May 2005
- Entered Parliament on 18 June 1970 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Alan Haselhurst
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Alan Haselhurst voted on key issues since 2001:
- Has never voted on the hunting ban. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Has never voted on introducing ID cards. votes
- Has never voted on a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Has never voted on laws to stop climate change. votes
- Has never voted on allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Has never voted on introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Has never voted on removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Has never voted on a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Has never voted on the Iraq war. votes
- Has never voted on an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted moderately for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Has never voted on a stricter asylum system. votes
- Has never voted on a smoking ban. votes
- Voted moderately for university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against equal gay rights. votes
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
- Voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Select Committee membership
- Member, Ecclesiastical Committee (Joint Committee) (since 26 Oct 2010)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (since 27 Jul 2010)
- Member, Administration Committee (since 26 Jul 2010)
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Transport
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Stansted Airport, London Airports: Night Flying, Aviation, London Airports: Passengers, Aviation: Climate Change
(based on written questions asked by Alan Haselhurst and answered by departments)
- Upcoming Business – Commons: Main Chamber (11 Dec 2013)
“Investment in the West Anglia rail line – Alan Haselhurst.”
- Tributes to Nelson Mandela (9 Dec 2013)
“I beg the indulgence of the House, as I have not been able to be present for the entirety of the proceedings. As chair of the United Kingdom branch of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, I should like to put some words on the record. I will not claim the eloquence of some of the speeches that have been made in the House today. I cannot claim the intimacy of knowledge and companionship...”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 18 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 74.81% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 22 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 15–16 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 78 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Alan Haselhurst’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1022 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£21,504 (230th)||£22,957 (208th)||£20,656 (365th)||£21,634||£20,902 (joint 1st with 187 others)||£20,333 (joint 3rd with 149 others)||£19,722 (joint 1st with 230 others)||£15,915 (193rd)|
|London costs||£0||£0||£0||£0||£1,618 (joint 1st with 118 others)||£1,574 (joint 1st with 101 others)||£1,527 (joint 1st with 101 others)||£1,227 (joint 1st with 81 others)|
|Office running costs||£6,531 (629th)||£10,361 (586th)||£16,289 (530th)||£20,000||£14,088 (524th)||£15,773 (558th)||£17,466 (450th)||£19,061 (197th)|
|Staffing costs||£76,495 (594th)||£69,779 (612th)||£67,368 (605th)||£63,917||£57,920 (625th)||£58,479 (606th)||£60,394 (516th)||£45,416 (350th)|
|Communications Allowance||£9,654 (265th)||£9,940 (157th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£4,101 (500th)1||£4,502 (joint 496th with 1 other)2||£3,798 (530th)||£4,062||£6,498 (480th)||£5,273 (510th)||£5,569 (501st)||£4,537 (488th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£154 (313th)||£263 (297th)||£363 (255th)||£169||£149 (394th)||£131 (joint 398th with 1 other)||£265 (348th)||£33 (joint 450th with 1 other)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£233 (270th)||£277 (joint 271st with 1 other)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£3,609 (312th)||£827 (joint 298th with 1 other)||£778 (377th)||£893||£755 (joint 376th with 1 other)||£629 (joint 445th with 1 other)||£1,388 (joint 186th with 2 others)||£1,206 (261st)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£3,022 (236th)||£2,324 (365th)||£2,487||£1,254 (535th)||£2,118 (387th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,040 (546th)||£825 (joint 596th with 1 other)||£493||£1,408 (599th)||£1,408 (588th)||£1,408 (572nd)||£915 (576th)|
|Total||£122,282 (586th)||£122,968 (582nd)||£112,401 (599th)||£113,655||£104,592 (590th)||£105,718 (559th)||£107,739 (450th)||£88,310 (339th)|