Amid all the arguments, is not it simply vital to recognise that the important thing is that farmers get the money that is due to them when they need it? Echoing the words of my hon. Friend the Member for Thirsk and Malton (Miss McIntosh), there is the consolatory thought that that will allow broadband roll-out to catch up.
First, I thank colleagues for the kind remarks that have come in my direction. We are all committed to ensuring the continued strength of the Commonwealth. I am pleased so much has been said about youth and human rights. Much more work has to be done to ensure that that 60% of the Commonwealth population—young people under 30—feel that there is a point to the Commonwealth and...
It is a pleasure to serve under your chairmanship, Mr Hollobone. It has not escaped notice that Commonwealth day at Westminster appears to be a little bit late this year, but I am extremely grateful nevertheless to the Backbench Business Committee for finding a slot for this annual debate. I realise that, as we come to the end of the Parliament, there is great pressure on time. One thing I...
More of Alan Haselhurst’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Saffron Walden
Entered House of Commons on 18 June 1970 — General election
Changed party from Deputy Speaker on 12 Apr 2010; from Conservative on 16 May 2005; from Deputy Speaker on 11 Apr 2005
Also represented Middleton and Prestwich
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Overseas Students: Scholarships
- London Airports: Night Flying
- Stansted Airport
- London Airports: Passengers
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Speaker's Advisory Committee on Works of Art (18 Nov 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Ecclesiastical Committee (Joint Committee) (26 Oct 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (27 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Chair, Administration Committee (27 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Administration Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 27 Jul 2010)
- Deputy Speaker (25 May 2010 to 8 Jun 2010)
- Member, Finance and Services Committee (25 Mar 2008 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Chairman of Ways and Means (1 May 1997 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, European Legislation Sub-Committee on Roads Safety Competence (18 Nov 1993 to 8 Nov 1995)
- Member, Transport Committee (27 Apr 1992 to 21 Mar 1997)
- Member, European Legislation Committee (28 May 1982 to 21 Mar 1997)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 23 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 2 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- People have made 22 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 15–16 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 92 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Alan Haselhurst’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1052 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 30 Mar 2015.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
Earnings from publication of novels.
£68.97 received for book sales in 2013-14. No additional hours worked. (Registered 22 April 2014)
£1,442.46 received for sales of new book. Hours: 260 hrs over 3 years. (Registered 22 April 2014)
(a) Donations to my constituency
party or association, which have been or will be reported by my party to the Electoral Commission:
(a) Name of donor: Mr M. Pawsey
(a) Address of donor: private
(a) Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £2,000
(a) Donor status: individual
(a) (Registered 16 March 2015)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from