I come to this debate with a great deal of sadness about what has happened in my own city. Six young men went out, of whom four are now dead, and one returned to the UK and is now starting a very lengthy prison sentence. One of the saddest moments in my 45 years’ experience of politics was reading the letter that one of the lads wrote to his parents and left for them when he went to...
It is more than regrettable that that has happened—it is despicable. Of course the hon. Gentleman is right that it must have an effect on people. It would have an effect on me if I had that sort of problem. I know what it is like to have abuse thrown at me. I know what effect it had on me. Goodness knows how other people feel when they have abuse thrown at them day after day. I hate the...
I apologise for not being here when the hon. Gentleman started his speech. I agree that the Iraq war was undoubtedly the tipping point, and most people now recognise that it was a mistake, but that has not stopped young Muslim men becoming radicalised. All the baring of our chests and saying “We were wrong and it was a terrible thing to do” has not changed what has happened by one...
More of Mike Hancock's recent appearances
Liberal Democrat MP for Portsmouth South
Entered House of Commons on 14 June 1984 — unknown
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Animal Experiments
- Parliamentary Questions
- Retirement Age
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Chairmen's Panel Committee (1 Nov 2005 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Defence Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Chairmen's Panel Committee (to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Defence Committee (to 11 Apr 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 6 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 56 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 40.44% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 6 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 110 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Mike Hancock’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 417 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 6 Jan 2015.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
Councillor and an Executive Member of Portsmouth City Council
. Address: Civic Offices, Guildhall Square, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 2BG.
December 2013, received basic allowance of £850 and a special responsibility
allowance as a Cabinet
member of £595. Hours: 70-80 hrs. (Registered 13 January 2014)
January 2014, received basic allowance of £850 and a special responsibility
allowance as a Cabinet member of £595. Hours: 70-80 hrs. (Registered 13 January 2014)
February 2014 received basic allowance of £850 and a special responsibility
allowance as a Cabinet member of £595. Hours: 70-80 hrs. (Registered 28 February 2014)
March 2014 received basic allowance of £850. Hours: 30-40 hrs. (Registered 14 April 2014)
April 2014 received basic allowance of £850. Hours: 30-40 hrs. (Registered 14 April 2014)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from