This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Mike Hancock’s activity (no more than once per day)
Liberal Democrat MP for Portsmouth South
- Entered Parliament on 14 June 1984 — unknown
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Mike Hancock
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Mike Hancock voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted very strongly for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted moderately against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted strongly for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately for a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration. votes
- Voted strongly against a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted moderately for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted moderately against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted moderately for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted strongly against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted moderately for the hunting ban. votes
- Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted moderately for a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted moderately against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted moderately against replacing Trident. votes
- Voted very strongly against the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Quite often rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Defence, Health, Home Department, Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Iraq, Animal Experiments, Uganda, Parliamentary Questions, Retirement Age
(based on written questions asked by Mike Hancock and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Chairman, Health and Social Care Bill Committee (16 out of 40)
- Chairman, Marriage (Wales) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Chairman, Temporary and Agency Workers (Equal Treatment) Bill Committee (2 out of 3)
- Chairman, Children and Adoption Bill Committee (3 out of 6)
- Criminal Law (Amendment) (Householder Protection) Bill Committee (0 out of 3)
- Written Answers — Work and Pensions: Work Capability Assessment (11 Dec 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what (a) medical training and (b) diagnostic experience his Department requires of Atos Medical Ltd employees contracted to carry out work capability assessments.”
- Written Answers — Business, Innovation and Skills: New Businesses: Hampshire (9 Dec 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills how many start-up loans have been granted to businesses in (a) Portsmouth South constituency and (b) Hampshire in the last five years.”
- Written Answers — Communities and Local Government: Social Rented Housing: Hampshire (9 Dec 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government (1) how many social housing units have been built in the New Forest district council area in each of the last three years; (2) how many social housing units have been built in the Test Valley borough council area in each of the last three years.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 2 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 102 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 43.78% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 6 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 106 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Mike Hancock’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 404 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£7,303 (552nd)||£10,859 (548th)||£11,706 (543rd)||£8,952||£12,739 (532nd)||£15,264 (466th)||£13,310 (555th)||£10,465 (558th)|
|Office running costs||£22,277 (110th)||£21,251 (162nd)||£20,401 (317th)||£21,192||£18,859 (267th)||£18,762 (joint 293rd with 1 other)||£18,234 (joint 1st with 183 others)||£18,042 (236th)|
|Staffing costs||£100,064 (166th)||£85,508 (398th)||£81,827 (407th)||£80,782||£74,011 (193rd)||£67,611 (351st)||£65,263 (288th)||£44,539 (381st)|
|Communications Allowance||£10,302 (201st)||£9,358 (248th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£5,612 (408th)1||£6,327 (380th)2||£5,919 (406th)||£5,194||£10,135 (331st)||£10,597 (303rd)||£9,933 (326th)||£8,892 (282nd)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£24 (469th)||£0||£644 (206th)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£0||£1,080 (117th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£4,935 (189th)||£1,758 (57th)||£2,054 (95th)||£1,103||£1,099 (259th)||£1,318 (154th)||£1,179 (261st)||£1,259 (240th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£4,947 (64th)||£5,582 (117th)||£2,972||£3,083 (261st)||£3,418 (212th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,259 (joint 247th with 2 others)||£1,090 (joint 258th with 10 others)||£0||£1,920 (joint 268th with 2 others)||£1,920 (joint 264th with 2 others)||£1,920 (joint 259th with 2 others)||£1,920 (joint 245th with 2 others)|
|Other Costs||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£477 (52nd)|
|Total||£150,494 (324th)||£142,347 (386th)||£128,579 (474th)||£120,195||£121,846 (360th)||£118,914 (336th)||£109,839 (joint 400th with 1 other)||£86,238 (379th)|