My hon. Friend is being most generous in giving way. Does she share my disappointment that, rather uniquely, the debate has twice as many women MPs in the Chamber, listening to her excellent remarks, as men? There are only half as many men in the Chamber.
London is the sixth richest city in the world and it produces a fifth of the GDP of the United Kingdom; yet four out of 10 of its children are in poverty. Does the Secretary of State accept that businesses recognise those facts by paying a London weighting? Is it time that he considered a London weighting both in relation to the minimum wage and the benefits cap in London?
The increase in carbon emissions from any airport expansion will have to be contained within the overall carbon budget set by the Committee on Climate Change. What discussions is the Secretary of State having in Cabinet about offsetting from other areas of his portfolio to ensure that those emissions caps are not breached; and what discussions is he having at European level to ensure that a...
More of Barry Gardiner’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Brent North
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Trade and Industry
- International Development
- Energy and Climate Change
- Arms Exports
- Natural Capital Accounting
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow Minister (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (7 Oct 2013 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee (20 Dec 2010 to 4 Nov 2013)
- Member, Energy and Climate Change Committee (2 Nov 2010 to 4 Nov 2013)
- Member, Crossrail Bill Committee (14 Nov 2007 to 18 Nov 2007)
- Special Envoy for Forestry (28 Jun 2007 to 15 Sep 2008)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (Biodiversity, Landscape and Rural Affairs) (5 May 2006 to 28 Jun 2007)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Trade and Industry) (Delivery and Efficiency) (10 May 2005 to 5 May 2006)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Northern Ireland Office) (2 Apr 2004 to 10 May 2005)
- Member, Consolidation etc. Bills (Joint Committee) (12 Dec 2001 to 5 May 2005)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (10 Jun 1999 to 16 Oct 2002)
- Member, Procedure Committee (31 Jul 1997 to 25 Jan 2000)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 62 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 97 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 72.41% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 3 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 104 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Barry Gardiner’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 653 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from