Mike Gapes’s voting in Parliament
Mike Gapes is a Labour/Co-operative MP, and so on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour/Co-operative MPs.
However, Mike Gapes sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Mike Gapes generally voted for university tuition fees, while most Labour/Co-operative MPs generally voted against.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Mike Gapes’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Mike Gapes’s full vote analysis page for more.
Mike Gapes occasionally rebelled against their party in this parliament
For more than three years, the position of our Government has been to support the Syrian Coalition and the Free Syrian Army. The Secretary of State says that we are training people outside Syria to be reinserted at some point. Has he seen the press statement issued by the Syrian Coalition today, in which it denounces a breakaway group, “a so-called military council” that is being...
I am pleased to have got some injury time, Mr Davies. I emphasise to the Minister and his officials that the problems in north-east London and in my borough of Redbridge in particular are serious. He referred to the Barking and Havering trust and the Barts trust. Every single resident of Redbridge now has to use a hospital that is in special measures, as Whipps Cross hospital is part of the...
Does the Minister accept that, given that the A&E will be closed, whether in two, three or four years’ time, there is a level of uncertainty? The CQC report comments on that. Is it not better for the sword of Damocles to be lifted and for us to go ahead on the basis of having two A&Es that work together?
More of Mike Gapes’s recent appearances
Labour/Co-operative MP for Ilford South
Entered the House of Commons on 9 April 1992 — General election
Party was Labour/Co-operative until 11 Apr 2005; Labour until 30 Mar 2015
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- UK Border Agency
- Entry Clearances
- UK Visas and Immigration
- Sri Lanka
Other offices held in the past
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (13 Jan 2010 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Committees on Arms Export Controls (formerly Quadripartite Committee) (10 Mar 2008 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Chair, Foreign Affairs Committee (18 Jul 2005 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Foreign Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 18 Jul 2005)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (11 Jul 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Defence Committee (20 Oct 2003 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Member, Defence Committee (24 Nov 1999 to 11 May 2001)
- Member, Foreign Affairs Committee (27 Apr 1992 to 21 Mar 1997)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 50 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 6 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 73.58% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 6 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 96 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Mike Gapes’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 598 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 10 Aug 2015.
1. Employment and earnings
Payments received for completion of opinion surveys for ComRes
, 4 Millbank, London SW1P 3JA. Hours: 15 -20 mins each. All payments donated to Redbridge Organiser's account, unless otherwise stated. (Registered 03 June 2015)
June 2013, I received £75. (Registered 03 June 2015)
March 2014, I received £75. (Registered 03 June 2015)
April 2014, I received £75. (Registered 03 June 2015)
June 2014, I received £75. (Registered 03 June 2015)
July 2014, I received £75. (Registered 03 June 2015)
November 2014, I received £75. (Registered 03 June 2015)
January 2015, I received £75. Payment donated to Ilford South Labour Party. (Registered 03 June 2015)
February 2015, I received £75. (Registered 03 June 2015)
Payments received for completion of opinion surveys for YouGov
, 50 Featherstone St, London EC1Y 8RT. Hours: 15 -20 mins each. All payments donated to Ilford South Labour Party, unless otherwise stated.
November 2013, I received £80. (Registered 03 June 2015)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from