This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on George Galloway’s activity (no more than once per day)
Respect MP for Bradford West
- Also represented Bethnal Green and Bow; Glasgow Kelvin; Glasgow Hillhead
- Changed party from Labour on 23 Oct 2003
- Entered Parliament on 11 June 1987 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by George Galloway
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How George Galloway voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted moderately against a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted moderately for a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted for a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted moderately against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted strongly against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted moderately against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted moderately for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted moderately for the hunting ban. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a smoking ban. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration. votes
- Has never voted on increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted moderately for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted strongly for a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted very strongly against the Iraq war. votes
- Voted moderately for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Has never voted on automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Has never voted on encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against replacing Trident. votes
- Has never voted on allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Never rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Education, Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Home Department, Health, Communities and Local Government
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Kings Science Academy, Engagements, Jericho Monitoring Mission, Free Schools, Entry Clearances: Overseas Students
(based on written questions asked by George Galloway and answered by departments)
- Written Answers — Education: Academies: Bradford (5 Dec 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Education how many new academy and free schools based in the Bradford Education Authority area are currently applying to his Department.”
- Written Answers — Education: Kings Science Academy (5 Dec 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Education (1) for what reason he failed to order his Department to give the police more information in September 2013 about the fraud allegations at Kings Science Academy, Bradford when he was briefed that this possibility was raised with his Department by the police in September 2013; (2) if he will publish all papers held by his Department relating to...”
- Written Answers — Education: Schools: Bradford (5 Dec 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Education what the shortfall in available school places was for those needing a school place in Bradford Education Authority area in September 2013.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 10 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 105 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 10.98% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 26 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 455 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on George Galloway’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 243 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£0||£0||£0||£0||£20,902 (joint 1st with 187 others)||£17,150 (408th)||£18,900 (joint 371st with 1 other)||£5,000 (604th)|
|London costs||£2,916 (joint 1st with 49 others)||£1,978 (49th)||£2,712 (joint 1st with 46 others)||£2,360||£0||£0||£0||£0|
|Office running costs||£21,055 (172nd)||£17,721 (358th)||£13,718 (573rd)||£6,176||£10,660 (595th)||£18,799 (joint 13th with 178 others)||£16,899 (483rd)||£60 (656th)|
|Staffing costs||£101,343 (115th)||£94,005 (79th)||£89,700 (75th)||£97,809||£86,198 (12th)||£59,007 (600th)||£72,310 (joint 1st with 23 others)||£63,644 (8th)|
|Communications Allowance||£4,983 (476th)||£10,000 (joint 130th with 10 others)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£0||£0||£0||£199||£4,903 (539th)||£7,236 (429th)||£9,748 (332nd)||£12,618 (122nd)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£0||£0||£304||£1,856 (87th)||£1,581 (91st)||£699 (213th)||£443 (261st)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£43 (642nd)||£47 (640th)||£259 (617th)||£182||£252 (joint 615th with 1 other)||£259 (611th)||£705 (joint 468th with 2 others)||£1,227 (254th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£485 (joint 619th with 1 other)||£163 (634th)||£0||£1,640 (471st)||£1,738 (457th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,058 (533rd)||£1,058 (joint 320th with 22 others)||£0||£1,823 (432nd)||£1,823 (425th)||£1,781 (444th)||£1,781 (388th)|
|Other Costs||£0||£11,096 (8th)||£0||£0||£16,838 (3rd)||£0||£5,717 (24th)||£0|
|Total||£130,340 (538th)||£136,390 (456th)||£107,610 (611th)||£107,030||£145,072 (46th)||£107,593 (541st)||£126,759 (54th)||£84,773 (joint 414th with 1 other)|