Does Paul Flynn respond to constituents’ emails?
According to our 2015 survey, Paul Flynn responded to a
very high proportion of messages
sent by constituents on WriteToThem.com.
See the results in context
Paul Flynn’s voting in Parliament
Paul Flynn is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
However, Paul Flynn sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Paul Flynn consistently voted against the Iraq war, while most Labour MPs generally voted for.
Paul Flynn generally voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system, while most Labour MPs generally voted for.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Paul Flynn’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Paul Flynn’s full vote analysis page for more.
Paul Flynn has sometimes rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, whether he plans to extend the remit of his Department's Blacknest verification centre to verify nuclear disarmament and warhead dismantlement.
To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, when his Department established the Nuclear Warhead Capability Sustainment Programme at the Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE); who has been appointed as Senior Responsible Owner for that programme; who the key stakeholders for that programme are; how many scientists from the US national nuclear weapons laboratories are seconded to work on that...
To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what methods are used to immobilise fissile material removed from dismantled nuclear warheads withdrawn from operational service; what that cost is of that immobilisation programme; and where that process is carried out.
More of Paul Flynn’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Newport West
Entered the House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Energy and Climate Change
- Home Department
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Nuclear Power
- Nuclear Weapons
Currently held offices
- Member, Petitions Committee (since 20 Jul 2015)
- Member, Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee (since 6 Jul 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Home Affairs Committee (4 Nov 2013 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Political and Constitutional Reform Committee (12 Dec 2011 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Public Administration Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Environmental Audit Committee (20 Oct 2003 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Member, Welsh Affairs Committee (14 Jul 1997 to 8 Dec 1997)
- Member, Transport Committee (26 Oct 1992 to 21 Mar 1997)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Health) (1 Jun 1988 to 1 Jun 1989)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 97 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs. See all Paul Flynn’s speeches
- Has received answers to 429 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 71.03% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 33 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 89 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Paul Flynn’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1032 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 6 Jun 2016.
1. Employment and earnings
Royalty payments from Biteback Publishing, 3 Albert Embankment London SE1 7SP. No additional hours.
I received payment of £174, in respect of two books. (Registered 08 June 2015
Payment of £485 received from ComRes, 4 Millbank, London, SW1P 3JA, for completing opinion surveys. Hours: 5 hrs. (Registered 08 June 2015)
Payment of £425 from Populus, Northburgh House, 10, Northburgh Street, London, EC1V 0AT, for completing opinion surveys. Hours: 4 hrs. (Registered 08 June 2015)
Payment of £400 from Ipsos MORI
, 79-81 Borough Road, London SE1 1FY for completing opinion surveys. Hours: 2 hrs. (Registered 08 June 2015)
Payment of £300 from YouGov, 50 Featherstone Street, London EC1Y 8RT for completing opinion surveys. Hours: 2 hrs. (Registered 08 June 2015)
Payment of £100 from Tinopolis TV
, Park Street, Llanelli SA15 3YE, for appearance on a documentary. Hours: 3 hrs. (Registered 08 June 2015)
2. (a) Support linked to an MP
but received by a local party organisation or indirectly via a central party organisation
Name of donor: RMT
Address of donor: Unity House, 39 Chalton Street, London NW1 1JD
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £2,500
Donor status: trade union
(Registered 08 June 2015)
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
I employ my wife, Lynne Samantha Flynn, as Senior Secretary.
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from