It is a pleasure to follow the hon. Member for Oxford, West and Abingdon (Dr. Harris), and to pay tribute to the part that he has played in getting us where we are today. He played an enormous part in ensuring that the amendment was tabled, and in working so constructively and coherently with the Leader of the House and members of all parties. That is an admirable example of the way in which...
Certainly not. He is first, foremost and always a democrat. In the excellent speech in which he effectively introduced the motion-I hope the Leader of the House will forgive me for saying that-my hon. Friend said, "We are nearly there." The question is, who are the "we" and where is the "there" that we are near? With one or two very creditable exceptions-it is vital, in any debate, to hear...
I entirely agree with my hon. Friend, but it is more a rebalancing of two distinct roles: that of the Executive-who have a role of their own in proposing legislation, imposing taxation and taking action on behalf of this country-and that of this House. The two are often confused, but the role of this House is to hold the Government to account, scrutinise them, ask them severe questions and...
More of Mark Fisher's recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Stoke-on-Trent Central
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Work and Pensions
- Education and Skills
- Culture Media and Sport
- Identity Cards
- Sevso Treasure
- Child Support Agency
- Education Maintenance Allowance
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Advisory Committee on Works of Art (10 Jan 2005 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Advisory Committee of Works of Art (to 10 Jan 2005)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Arts), Department for Culture, Media & Sport (6 May 1997 to 28 Jul 1998)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 9 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 1 written question in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 68.32% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 2 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 59 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 519 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 12 Apr 2010.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
Received annual fee of £67,005.89 from the Qatar Museums Authority, PO
Box 2777, Doha, Qatar
. I provide advice on the development of the Museums Authority's plans. I attend three Board meetings a year, usually in Doha, at weekends (on Saturdays), each involving two days travel (Fridays and Sundays). (Registered 8 September 2009)
8. Land and Property
Rental income from a flat in London.
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.