This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Nigel Evans’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for Ribble Valley
- Entered Parliament on 9 April 1992 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Nigel Evans
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Nigel Evans voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted moderately against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted strongly against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted very strongly against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted moderately against university tuition fees. votes
- Has never voted on raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted strongly against more EU integration. votes
- Voted moderately for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted strongly against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted strongly against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted moderately against a smoking ban. votes
- Voted against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against the hunting ban. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Has never voted on increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted moderately for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted moderately for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted very strongly for replacing Trident. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Never rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Home Department, Health, Environment Food and Rural Affairs, Treasury, Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Surplus Assets Sales, Correspondence, Parliamentary Questions, Departmental Data Protection, Ministerial Accommodation
(based on written questions asked by Nigel Evans and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Grocery Market Ombudsman Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Sunbeds (Regulation) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Bill Committee (5 out of 10)
- Civil Contingencies Bill Committee (5 out of 8)
- Health (Wales) Bill Committee (3 out of 3)
- Children's Commissioner for Wales Bill Committee (5 out of 5)
- Oral Answers to Questions — Prime Minister: Engagements (11 Dec 2013)
“British Aerospace has 1,000 apprentices at any one time, and 221 in Samlesbury in the Ribble Valley and neighbouring Warton in Lancashire. What can the Prime Minister do to encourage other firms to follow the excellent example of British Aerospace and take on more apprentices, particularly in engineering and science? That would in itself encourage more youngsters to study those subjects in...”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 91 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 86 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 6.16% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 32 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 95 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Nigel Evans’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1134 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£21,181 (241st)||£18,374 (427th)||£22,104 (joint 196th with 1 other)||£21,634||£20,902 (joint 1st with 187 others)||£20,333 (joint 3rd with 149 others)||£19,722 (joint 1st with 230 others)||£12,466 (502nd)|
|Office running costs||£19,969 (217th)||£11,512 (559th)||£17,765 (482nd)||£23,721||£17,505 (385th)||£20,110 (7th)||£18,234 (joint 1st with 183 others)||£23,222 (100th)|
|Staffing costs||£82,204 (550th)||£75,973 (574th)||£72,579 (579th)||£65,471||£65,986 (525th)||£75,546 (6th)||£66,665 (170th)||£44,791 (373rd)|
|Communications Allowance||£2,641 (539th)||£1,931 (560th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£10,957 (163rd)1||£14,381 (94th)2||£16,598 (40th)||£14,171||£18,589 (76th)||£20,236 (51st)||£28,642 (5th)||£19,001 (24th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£1,609 (32nd)||£624 (169th)||£2,806 (13th)||£1,869||£3,155 (20th)||£1,044 (157th)||£4,290 (2nd)||£413 (270th)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£2,445 (451st)||£514 (481st)||£777 (378th)||£645||£766 (joint 371st with 1 other)||£873 (joint 316th with 3 others)||£809 (432nd)||£1,368 (203rd)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£1,531 (458th)||£2,150 (390th)||£1,974||£1,468 (497th)||£2,203 (369th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,203 (joint 320th with 2 others)||£1,311 (36th)||£1,536||£1,565 (554th)||£1,565 (540th)||£1,399 (joint 577th with 1 other)||£0|
|Total||£141,006 (440th)||£126,043 (570th)||£136,090 (360th)||£131,021||£129,936 (193rd)||£141,910 (25th)||£139,761 (5th)||£101,261 (76th)|