This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on John Denham’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Southampton, Itchen
- Entered Parliament on 9 April 1992 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by John Denham
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How John Denham voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted moderately for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted moderately for automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted moderately for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted strongly for a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted very strongly for introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Voted very strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly for introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted strongly for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted moderately against the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted moderately for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted moderately for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted moderately for university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted moderately for a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted strongly for the hunting ban. votes
- Voted moderately against greater autonomy for schools. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Business, Innovation and Skills, Communities and Local Government, Health, Work and Pensions, Transport
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Departmental Procurement, Apprentices, Departmental Billing, Gender Pay Gap, Students: Finance
(based on written questions asked by John Denham and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Football (Disorder) (Amendment) Bill Committee (2 out of 2)
- Police Reform Bill Committee (9 out of 12)
- Health and Social Care Bill Committee (13 out of 14)
- Written Answers — Cabinet Office: Unemployment (5 Dec 2013)
“To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office (1) how many and what proportion of adults were unemployed in each region in (a) the most recent quarter and (b) each previous year since 2009; (2) how many and what proportion of young people were unemployed in each region in (a) the most recent quarter and (b) each previous year since 2009.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 13 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 69 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 63.68% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 21 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 98 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on John Denham’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1053 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£23,806 (87th)||£23,083 (joint 1st with 142 others)||£22,110 (joint 1st with 183 others)||£21,634||£20,902 (joint 1st with 187 others)||£20,333 (joint 3rd with 149 others)||£19,722 (joint 1st with 230 others)||£13,869 (451st)|
|London costs||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£1,474 (103rd)||£1,227 (joint 1st with 81 others)|
|Office running costs||£22,952 (88th)||£17,574 (366th)||£18,958 (434th)||£18,810||£14,606 (504th)||£17,628 (496th)||£18,106 (joint 336th with 1 other)||£15,920 (314th)|
|Staffing costs||£92,215 (403rd)||£89,780 (239th)||£83,212 (364th)||£77,496||£70,420 (joint 315th with 1 other)||£64,273 (joint 458th with 31 others)||£61,856 (joint 448th with 1 other)||£42,232 (464th)|
|Communications Allowance||£9,713 (257th)||£9,690 (joint 204th with 1 other)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£4,134 (498th)1||£7,221 (joint 336th with 1 other)2||£7,992 (304th)||£7,284||£8,304 (411th)||£6,425 (467th)||£2,611 (599th)||£3,213 (553rd)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£0||£0||£118||£472 (284th)||£247 (349th)||£48 (447th)||£78 (joint 414th with 1 other)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£4,294 (229th)||£1,185 (joint 160th with 2 others)||£1,987 (100th)||£1,135||£4,261 (27th)||£986 (258th)||£743 (joint 451st with 1 other)||£1,043 (314th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£3,433 (183rd)||£4,889 (138th)||£3,440||£11,397 (33rd)||£2,376 (joint 344th with 1 other)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,417 (joint 57th with 2 others)||£1,227 (joint 86th with 1 other)||£18||£1,933 (joint 243rd with 4 others)||£1,933 (joint 238th with 4 others)||£1,916 (joint 264th with 1 other)||£1,916 (joint 250th with 1 other)|
|Other Costs||£0||£877 (78th)||£0||£795||£0||£0||£1,300 (63rd)||£0|
|Total||£157,114 (237th)||£154,260 (196th)||£140,375 (276th)||£130,730||£132,295 (143rd)||£114,201 (439th)||£107,776 (joint 447th with 1 other)||£79,498 (492nd)|