This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Geraint Davies’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Swansea West
- Also represented Croydon Central
- Entered Parliament on 1 May 1997 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Geraint Davies
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Geraint Davies voted on key issues since 2001:
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted strongly for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted very strongly for a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted moderately for university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted moderately against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a smoking ban. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration. votes
- Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted very strongly for introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted very strongly for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted very strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted moderately for introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted strongly against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly for the hunting ban. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Treasury, Transport, Local Government and the Regions, Deputy Prime Minister, Cabinet Office
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Departmental Policies, Voluntary Work: Young People, Feroz Abbasi, Mental Health Services, Guantanamo Bay
(based on written questions asked by Geraint Davies and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Bill Committee (11 out of 17)
- Inquiries Bill Committee (2 out of 3)
- Gender Recognition Bill Committee (6 out of 6)
- European Parliamentary and Local Elections (Pilots) Bill Committee (5 out of 5)
- Civil Defence (Grant) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Business Rates (4 Dec 2013)
“It is a great pleasure to follow the hon. Member for Northampton South (Mr Binley). Like him, I have started and owned a number of small businesses. I know that a number of Government Members have not, and some could barely run a tap based on what they have been saying. I am a great supporter of small businesses in Swansea—people like Joe’s Ice Cream and Tomos Watkin’s. I...”
- Business Rates (4 Dec 2013)
- Business Rates (4 Dec 2013)
“Further to the point I made earlier, the cuts in funding to business are particularly acute among small businesses. Given that, should not the priority be not to cut corporation tax across the piece, but to focus our fire where it is most needed, among small businesses, rather than giving the cut to all the big giants, who have more strength to weather the storm?”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 59 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 5 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2005, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 65.36% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 5 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 68 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Geraint Davies’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 337 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source).
|Type||2008/09||2007/08||2006/07||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£433||£20,024 (304th)||£19,798 (joint 273rd with 1 other)||£19,722 (joint 1st with 230 others)||£15,212 (331st)|
|Office running costs||£6,979||£22,025 (2nd)||£18,799 (joint 13th with 178 others)||£18,234 (joint 1st with 183 others)||£18,125 (234th)|
|Staffing costs||£19,041||£77,493 (90th)||£74,985 (joint 8th with 27 others)||£72,173 (38th)||£50,250 (179th)|
|Members' Travel||£0||£2,423 (joint 604th with 2 others)||£1,010 (636th)||£1,469 (630th)||£1,265 (621st)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£90 (426th)||£54 (452nd)||£0||£0|
|Members' Spouse Travel||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£0||£13,288 (2nd)||£5,068 (11th)||£3,717 (15th)||£2,635 (32nd)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||N/A||N/A||£0||£38,750 (1st)||£6,291 (69th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£0||£1,933 (joint 243rd with 4 others)||£1,933 (joint 238th with 4 others)||£1,933 (joint 234th with 2 others)||£1,933 (joint 223rd with 2 others)|
|Other Costs||£33,095||£0||£0||£3,076 (48th)||£0|
|Total||£59,548||£176,026 (1st)||£127,938 (153rd)||£120,324 (163rd)||£89,420 (310th)|