This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Michael Connarty’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Linlithgow and East Falkirk
- Also represented Falkirk East
- Entered Parliament on 9 April 1992 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Michael Connarty
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Michael Connarty voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted moderately for automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted strongly for introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted moderately against replacing Trident. votes
- Voted strongly for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted strongly for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted strongly for a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted moderately against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted moderately against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted moderately for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted moderately for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted strongly against the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted moderately for the hunting ban. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted very strongly for allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Occasionally rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Select Committee membership
- Member, European Scrutiny Committee (since 26 Jul 2010)
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Home Department, Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Health, Environment Food and Rural Affairs, International Development
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Human Trafficking, Broadband, Iraq, Call Centres, Haemophilia
(based on written questions asked by Michael Connarty and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- HGV Road User Levy Bill Committee (5 out of 5)
- Legislation (Territorial Extent) Bill Committee (2 out of 2)
- Debt Relief (Developing Countries) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Driving Instruction (Suspension and Exemption Powers) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Planning-gain Supplement (Preparations) Bill Committee (2 out of 2)
- International Development (Reporting and Transparency) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Inquiries Bill Committee (2 out of 3)
- Upcoming Business – Commons: Westminster Hall (18 Dec 2013)
“Television services in Scotland – Michael Connarty.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 42 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 39 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 57.95% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 15 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 76 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Michael Connarty’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 644 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£23,581 (109th)||£23,083 (joint 1st with 142 others)||£21,248 (330th)||£21,634||£20,902 (joint 1st with 187 others)||£20,333 (joint 3rd with 149 others)||£19,722 (joint 1st with 230 others)||£15,901 (197th)|
|Office running costs||£23,945 (70th)||£29,147 (14th)||£25,964 (77th)||£27,967||£18,506 (312th)||£18,799 (joint 13th with 178 others)||£18,081 (joint 344th with 1 other)||£22,435 (109th)|
|Staffing costs||£92,219 (402nd)||£81,455 (508th)||£78,242 (496th)||£76,265||£71,139 (282nd)||£67,838 (335th)||£61,551 (467th)||£36,099 (581st)|
|Communications Allowance||£13,705 (42nd)||£10,932 (77th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£25,861 (5th)1||£25,401 (4th)2||£21,789 (16th)||£21,945||£17,534 (89th)||£20,202 (52nd)||£19,702 (55th)||£14,627 (81st)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£372 (196th)||£987 (106th)||£0||£593||£955 (197th)||£1,756 (75th)||£2,031 (46th)||£1,595 (65th)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£929 (129th)||£871 (137th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£6,421 (92nd)||£685 (369th)||£787 (joint 370th with 2 others)||£569||£1,020 (279th)||£746 (381st)||£1,001 (332nd)||£679 (joint 465th with 2 others)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£3,428 (184th)||£3,129 (276th)||£1,946||£4,577 (159th)||£3,066 (255th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,173 (joint 372nd with 1 other)||£935 (joint 507th with 13 others)||£935||£1,710 (512th)||£1,710 (502nd)||£1,710 (474th)||£1,027 (joint 553rd with 1 other)|
|Other Costs||£0||£6,304 (22nd)||£5,675 (22nd)||£0||£4,035 (46th)||£0||£0||£430 (54th)|
|Total||£187,032 (5th)||£183,466 (2nd)||£157,769 (30th)||£151,854||£140,378 (62nd)||£134,450 (71st)||£123,798 (89th)||£92,793 (214th)|