This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Ann Clwyd’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Cynon Valley
- Entered Parliament on 3 May 1984 — unknown
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Ann Clwyd
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Ann Clwyd voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted moderately for the hunting ban. votes
- Voted moderately for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted moderately against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted strongly for introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted moderately for university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted moderately for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted moderately for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately for a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Voted very strongly for introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Occasionally rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Trade and Industry, Wales, Defence, Health
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Afghanistan, Indonesia, Arms Export Licences, Miners' Compensation, UK Nationals (Cuba)
(based on written questions asked by Ann Clwyd and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Sunbeds (Regulation) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Female Genital Mutilation Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Oral Answers to Questions — International Development: Topical Questions (4 Dec 2013)
“Nearly 3 million civilians are cut off completely from aid in Syria. What is the Secretary of State doing to help those starving and desperate people?”
- Business of the House: Sexual Violence in Conflict (28 Nov 2013)
“As chair of the all-party group on human rights, I know it has done a considerable amount of work over the years in hosting women who are the victims of rape. The Foreign Secretary should add this one to his list. I have encountered victims of rape in many countries of the world, including in Rwanda, Iraq and East Timor, and in East Timor, in particular, there has been no follow-up to the...”
- Oral Answers to Questions — Wales: Living Wage (20 Nov 2013)
“In some parts of Cynon Valley, over half the children are living in poverty. Why?”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 19 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 18 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 61.87% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 11 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 65 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Ann Clwyd’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 603 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£21,201 (240th)||£21,165 (336th)||£21,600 (300th)||£21,634||£20,902 (joint 1st with 187 others)||£18,920 (322nd)||£3,618 (613th)||£18,009 (joint 2nd with 55 others)|
|Office running costs||£13,791 (478th)||£14,577 (474th)||£19,922 (374th)||£16,899||£12,564 (564th)||£18,543 (399th)||£14,967 (551st)||£16,434 (286th)|
|Staffing costs||£86,657 (491st)||£89,847 (237th)||£84,036 (333rd)||£86,995||£62,672 (581st)||£61,641 (572nd)||£56,997 (570th)||£32,578 (612th)|
|Communications Allowance||£3,527 (517th)||£4,298 (490th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£6,945 (335th)1||£7,426 (328th)2||£6,792 (353rd)||£4,170||£11,161 (300th)||£4,354 (543rd)||£10,031 (325th)||£5,163 (457th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£320 (229th)||£389 (241st)||£530 (216th)||£1,147||£383 (302nd)||£657 (222nd)||£294 (338th)||£0|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£976 (610th)||£836 (292nd)||£416 (joint 564th with 1 other)||£665||£666 (424th)||£626 (447th)||£836 (413th)||£661 (joint 484th with 1 other)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£4,374 (117th)||£2,162 (389th)||£3,005||£4,544 (161st)||£2,095 (392nd)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,007 (572nd)||£937 (joint 502nd with 4 others)||£937||£1,975 (117th)||£1,975 (110th)||£1,975 (109th)||£1,975 (104th)|
|Total||£133,417 (517th)||£143,919 (372nd)||£136,395 (353rd)||£135,452||£114,867 (489th)||£108,811 (526th)||£88,718 (619th)||£74,820 (joint 548th with 1 other)|