This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Kenneth Clarke’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for Rushcliffe
- Minister without Portfolio (since 6 Sep 2012) (note about dates)
- Entered Parliament on 18 June 1970 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Kenneth Clarke
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Kenneth Clarke voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted moderately against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against equal gay rights. votes
- Voted moderately for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted very strongly against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted moderately against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted moderately for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted moderately against the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted strongly against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly against the hunting ban. votes
- Voted moderately against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted moderately against a smoking ban. votes
- Voted moderately for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted moderately for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted strongly for a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted very strongly for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted moderately for more EU integration. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Health, Treasury, Transport, Home Department, Defence
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Contingency Planning, Political Asylum, Iraq, Nottingham East Midlands Airport, Protective Suits
(based on written questions asked by Kenneth Clarke and answered by departments)
- Written Answers — Cabinet Office: Corruption (9 Sep 2013)
“holding answer 18 July 2013 The role of the Anti-Corruption Champion is to ensure a coherent and joined-up approach to combating international corruption and the role has recently been expanded to include domestic corruption. Officials across a wide range of Departments work on different aspects of the anti-corruption agenda, including in the Cabinet Office, Home Office, the Department for...”
- Written Answers — Cabinet Office: Corruption (16 Jul 2013)
“The role of the champion is to help ensure a coherent approach to combating international corruption and has recently been expanded to include domestic corruption. In the last 12 months a significant amount of Government attention has been focused on anti-corruption, and the UK's response to the issue has been praised as: 'highly adequate and in some ways exemplary' by the United Nations...”
- Written Answers — Cabinet Office: Corruption (16 Jul 2013)
“The report provides a helpful contribution to our work in this area and I welcome the continuing input of Transparency International in raising awareness of these issues.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 4 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 58.05% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 14 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 190 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Kenneth Clarke’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 3784 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£14,895 (433rd)||£17,565 (450th)||£13,648 (519th)||£10,710||£10,714 (558th)||£13,755 (499th)||£13,653 (549th)||£10,909 (547th)|
|Office running costs||£8,962 (597th)||£6,866 (627th)||£7,201 (634th)||£5,270||£8,054 (629th)||£8,921 (639th)||£4,761 (joint 654th with 1 other)||£2,662 (651st)|
|Staffing costs||£92,267 (398th)||£88,112 (309th)||£85,437 (282nd)||£81,103||£76,624 (110th)||£69,898 (joint 182nd with 10 others)||£67,404 (joint 154th with 7 others)||£52,985 (102nd)|
|Communications Allowance||£2,606 (540th)||£1,226 (574th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£4,188 (492nd)1||£4,300 (joint 509th with 1 other)2||£4,063 (516th)||£3,620||£5,265 (527th)||£5,848 (489th)||£6,287 (472nd)||£4,269 (501st)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£376 (288th)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£1,728 (60th)||£1,504 (88th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£3,479 (322nd)||£807 (311th)||£724 (407th)||£963||£739 (387th)||£990 (257th)||£909 (377th)||£1,094 (297th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£1,592 (446th)||£1,715 (460th)||£2,510||£2,146 (383rd)||£2,170 (378th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,104 (joint 489th with 2 others)||£1,266 (58th)||£339||£1,796 (joint 459th with 1 other)||£1,796 (joint 451st with 1 other)||£1,457 (joint 560th with 1 other)||£1,457 (joint 486th with 1 other)|
|Other Costs||£0||£0||£752 (67th)||£429||£0||£108 (86th)||£0||£0|
|Total||£128,125 (554th)||£123,076 (581st)||£114,806 (587th)||£104,944||£105,338 (585th)||£103,486 (575th)||£94,471 (592nd)||£73,752 (562nd)|