Does my right hon. Friend remember that he and I were the only participants in the debate on the business motion on Tuesday? Will he explain why he did not take that opportunity to say that he would bring forward changes to Standing Orders, bearing in mind that, in the absence of a written constitution, our Standing Orders are effectively our freedom and democracy—our unwritten...
In joining the tributes to my right hon. Friend for his sterling public service, may I ask what else he could have achieved in the past five years had he been a member of a real Conservative Government?
If my memory serves me correctly, a very short Finance Act followed the Budget in 1992, with the main, substantive Finance Bill being brought forward after the general election.
More of Christopher Chope’s recent appearances
Former Conservative MP for Christchurch
Entered House of Commons on 9 June 1983 — General election
Left Parliament on 30 March 2015 — General election
Also represented Southampton, Itchen
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Congestion Charging
- Individual Learning Accounts
- Official Travel
- Equitable Life
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Justice Committee (4 Nov 2013 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Standards Committee (7 Jan 2013 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Privileges Committee (7 Jan 2013 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Standards and Privileges Committee (12 Dec 2012 to 7 Jan 2013)
- Member, Political and Constitutional Reform Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Draft Constitutional Renewal Bill (Joint Committee) (1 May 2008 to 22 Jul 2008)
- Member, Administration Committee (6 Nov 2006 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Procedure Committee (12 Dec 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Panel of Chairs (24 May 2005 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (1 Jan 2003 to 1 Jan 2005)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Transport) (1 Jan 2002 to 1 Jan 2003)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Treasury) (1 Jan 2001 to 1 Jan 2002)
- Member, Trade & Industry Committee (5 Jul 1999 to 4 Mar 2002)
- Shadow Minister (Trade and Industry) (1 Jan 1998 to 1 Jan 1999)
- Shadow Minister (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (1 Jan 1997 to 1 Jan 1998)
- Vice-Chair, Conservative Party (1 Jan 1997 to 1 Jan 1998)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport (1 Jun 1990 to 1 Jun 1992)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Environment) (10 Sep 1986 to 22 Jul 1990)
- Member, Procedure Committee (9 Jun 1983 to 28 Jan 1987)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
- House of Lords (Expulsion and Suspension) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Chairman, Armed Forces (Service Complaints and Financial Assistance) Bill Committee (1 out of 2)
- Chairman, Deregulation Bill Committee (9 out of 18)
- Leasehold Reform (Amendment) Bill Committee (0 out of 1)
- Mobile Homes Bill Committee (0 out of 1)
- Chairman, Children and Families Bill Committee (10 out of 19)
- Chairman, Defamation Bill Committee (1 out of 5)
- Chairman, Finance (No. 2) Bill Committee (2 out of 5)
- Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims (Amendment) bill Committee (0 out of 1)
- Chairman, Police Reform and Social Responsibility Bill Committee (8 out of 20)
- Local Government Ombudsman (Amendment) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Legislation (Territorial Extent) Bill Committee (0 out of 2)
- Chairman, Flood and Water Management Bill Committee (4 out of 10)
- Chairman, Debt Relief (Developing Countries) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Chairman, Apprenticeships, Skills, Children and Learning Bill Committee (11 out of 18)
- Chairman, National Insurance Contributions Bill Committee (2 out of 2)
- Chairman, Regulatory Enforcement and Sanctions Bill Committee (4 out of 4)
- Chairman, Local Government and Public Involvement in Health Bill Committee (9 out of 18)
- Chairman, Child Maintenance and Other Payments Bill Committee (7 out of 11)
- Financial Mutuals Arrangements Bill Committee (0 out of 1)
- Crown Employment (Nationality) Bill Committee (2 out of 2)
- Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill Committee (8 out of 8)
- Chairman, Education and Inspections Bill Committee (10 out of 21)
- Road Safety Bill Committee (9 out of 9)
- Civil Partnership Bill Committee (5 out of 5)
- School Transport Bill Committee (2 out of 4)
- Traffic Management Bill Committee (9 out of 9)
- Industrial and Provident Societies Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Finance Bill Committee (13 out of 16)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 80 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 102 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 55.13% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 40 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 102 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1830 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 30 Mar 2015.
1. Remunerated directorships
Carclew Limited; small private company which provides business consultancy services but excludes advice on parliamentary or public affairs (not trading).
5. Gifts, benefits and hospitality (UK
Address of donor: Members Hill, Brooklands Road, Weybridge KT13 0QU
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: two tickets to Chelsea Flower Show, including hospitality; total value £1,404
Date of receipt of donation: 20 May 2014
Date of acceptance of donation: 20 May 2014
Donor status: company, registration 1501573
(Registered 4 November 2014)
9. Registrable shareholdings
(a) Carclew Limited (not trading).
I am a barrister, currently non-practising.
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from