I have not engaged myself in the organisation of the House as much as many of those who have already spoken. As I look around the Chamber, I am slightly surprised to see that I am the only Member representing a Scottish constituency who is present.There is a serious point to that, because if a decision is taken on 18 September that Scotland should seek independence—
Separation, if you like. If that happens, the next 18 months and indeed for a long time after, it is going to be enormously testing of every procedure of this House. The volume of legislation will be enormous, and the number of occasions on which the Speaker, and indeed the House—and Front Benchers too—will require expert advice will also be enormous. On that basis, I, at least,...
But a chief executive has overall responsibility, and the finance director is below him. I do not have a great deal of experience of commerce or business, but the experience that I do have demonstrates clearly to me that, in the example given by the right hon. Gentleman, there is no doubt about who would have to give way. I simply do not believe that it is right, having regard to the...
More of Menzies Campbell's recent appearances
Liberal Democrat MP for North East Fife
Entered House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Trade and Industry
- Home Department
- Stolen Equipment
- RAF Leuchars
- Air Force: Military Bases
Other offices held in the past
- Chairman, Committee on Issue of Privilege (Police Searches on Parliamentary Estate) (10 Aug 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Intelligence and Security (Cabinet Office) Committee (25 Nov 2008 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Foreign Affairs Committee (18 Apr 2008 to 11 May 2010)
- Party Leader (3 Mar 2006 to 16 Oct 2007)
- Shadow Secretary of State and Deputy Leader, Foreign & Commonwealth Affairs (26 Jan 2004 to 3 Mar 2006)
- Deputy Leader (26 Jan 2004 to 3 Mar 2006)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 42 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 35 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 71.44% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 16 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 20–21 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 69 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Menzies Campbell’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 889 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 2 Jun 2014.
1. Remunerated directorships
Scottish American Investment Company PLC
(£15,001–£20,000). My Directorship came to an end on 31st March 2014. (Updated 29 April 2014)
Payment of £5,000 gross (£3,000 net) received on 30 June 2013. Hours: 12 hrs. (Registered 31 July 2013)
Payment of £5,000 gross (£3,000 net) received on 30 September 2013. Hours: 12 hrs. (Registered 10 October 2013)
Payment of £5,000 gross (£3,000 net) received on 31 December 2013. Hours: 12 hrs. (Registered 7 January 2014)
Payment of £5,000 gross (£3,000 net) received on 31 March 2014. Hours: 12 hrs. (Registered 29 April 2014)
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
Queen’s Counsel. (Resumed practice at the Bar with effect from 1 January 2008.) Payments are made through Faculty Services Ltd, Advocates Library, Parliament House, Edinburgh EH1 1RF, and the payment figure is subject to deductions to reflect overheads due to the Faculty of Advocates
Payments received from BBC
for appearances on ‘Any Questions
’. Address: BBC Contributor Payments, PO
Box 480, Manchester M14 0EL:
Payment of £150 received on 30 September 2013 for appearance on 20 September 2013. Hours: 5 hrs. (Registered 14 October 2013)
5. Gifts, benefits and hospitality (UK
As a former Leader of the Liberal Democrats, I enjoy Honorary Membership for life of the National Liberal Club. (Registered 29 August 2013)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from