I entered the House on the same day as the right hon. Member for Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath (Mr Brown), and I was recalling just how much has changed in this place. When we arrived, there were no mobile phones, no e-mail and virtually no staff. My local party provided me with a rent-free office and a part-time secretary, so all those who accuse us of exploiting the expenses system should...
I congratulate my right hon. Friend on the work that he has done to ensure that the wealthiest pay a much higher contribution in taxes than they did under the last Government, who created more loopholes for the rich to avoid taxes than there are holes in a sieve. Surely it is perfectly legitimate for a coalition that has secured recovery and growth for five years to set out how that can be...
I commend the Secretary of State, her Department and her Ministers for their campaigning work on this issue on behalf of women and girls. May I ask her not to hold back in countries such as Sierra Leone, where secret societies perpetrate female genital mutilation? The girls do not even know what is happening to them and they do not discuss it. Will she work with campaigners in that country to...
More of Malcolm Bruce’s recent appearances
Former Liberal Democrat MP for Gordon
Entered House of Commons on 9 June 1983 — General election
Left Parliament on 30 March 2015 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Trade and Industry
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Work and Pensions
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Export Credits Guarantee Department
- Green Ministers
Other offices held in the past
- Deputy Leader, Liberal Democrats (29 Jan 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (13 Jan 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Committees on Arms Export Controls (formerly Quadripartite Committee) (10 Mar 2008 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Chair, International Development Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, International Development Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 14 Jul 2005)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (11 Jul 2005 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills (1 Jun 2003 to 1 Jun 2005)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (1 Jan 2001 to 1 Jan 2002)
- Member, Standards and Privileges Committee (3 Nov 1999 to 11 May 2001)
- Member, Treasury Committee (15 Nov 1995 to 31 Jul 1998)
- Member, Treasury & Civil Service Committee (28 Nov 1994 to 8 Nov 1995)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Treasury) (1 Jan 1994 to 1 Jan 1999)
- Member, Trade & Industry Committee (26 Oct 1992 to 28 Nov 1994)
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (Commons) (27 Apr 1992 to 9 Nov 1992)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Trade and Industry) (1 Jan 1992 to 1 Jan 1994)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Scotland) (1 Jan 1990 to 1 Jan 1992)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Energy and Climate Change) (1 Jan 1988 to 1 Jan 1989)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (1 Jan 1988 to 1 Jan 1989)
- Member, Trade & Industry Committee (17 Jun 1987 to 15 Feb 1990)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Trade and Industry) (1 Jan 1987 to 1 Jan 1988)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Work and Pensions) (1 Jan 1987 to 1 Jan 1987)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Energy and Climate Change) (1 Jan 1985 to 1 Jan 1987)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (9 Jun 1983 to 15 May 1987)
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 29 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 1 written question in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 62.55% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 15 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 44 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1147 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 30 Mar 2015.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
£250 received from Wroxton College, Wroxton OX15 6PX, for preparing and delivering a talk on 7 May 2014. Hours: 2 hrs. (Registered 19 May 2014)
6. Overseas visits
Name of donor: The European Azerbaijan Society
Address of donor: 15 Queen Anne’s Gate, London SW1H 9BU
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): £2,423, comprising £1,943 for flights and £480 for 4 nights at a hotel
Destination of visit: Baku, Azerbaijan
Date of visit: 26 May to 29 May 2014
Purpose of visit: to meet with political and parliamentary figures including the President of the Republic, ministers, the British Ambassador, local public service centres, representatives of international organisations and human rights groups.
(Registered 4 July 2014)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from