This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Malcolm Bruce’s activity (no more than once per day)
Liberal Democrat MP for Gordon
- Entered Parliament on 9 June 1983 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Malcolm Bruce
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Malcolm Bruce voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted strongly against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted moderately against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted moderately for a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted moderately for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted strongly for a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted very strongly against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted moderately against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted very strongly against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted moderately against replacing Trident. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted moderately against a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted strongly for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted very strongly against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted moderately for more EU integration. votes
- Voted moderately against the hunting ban. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Trade and Industry, Environment Food and Rural Affairs, Work and Pensions, Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Treasury
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Export Credits Guarantee Department, Christmas, Asbestos, Bechtel, Green Ministers
(based on written questions asked by Malcolm Bruce and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Consumer Credit Bill Committee (2 out of 4)
- Civil Partnership Bill Committee (3 out of 5)
- Employment Relations Bill Committee (4 out of 9)
- Patents Bill Committee (1 out of 2)
- Finance Bill Committee (2 out of 7)
- Tributes to Nelson Mandela (9 Dec 2013)
“I apologise for having missed part of the debate; I had engagements that I could not change with people from outside the House. I am glad that the Speaker has allowed these tributes to be paid, as they give us the opportunity to place on record our views and experiences. I had the great privilege of meeting Nelson Mandela shortly after he had been elected President. I have Richard Caborn to...”
- Oral Answers to Questions — International Development: Philippines (4 Dec 2013)
“Given the call on British development funds from the Philippines and the Central African Republic, and following the outfall from the conflict in Syria, how will the Department budget for what are, by definition, unpredictable disasters, given that it has now reached its budget ceiling?”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 27 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 34 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 61.84% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 15 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 53 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Malcolm Bruce’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1106 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£22,816 (154th)||£23,083 (joint 1st with 142 others)||£19,518 (408th)||£18,585||£20,902 (joint 1st with 187 others)||£18,883 (326th)||£18,492 (393rd)||£13,840 (452nd)|
|Office running costs||£16,786 (366th)||£18,862 (299th)||£20,183 (346th)||£19,024||£18,808 (271st)||£18,799 (joint 13th with 178 others)||£18,234 (joint 1st with 183 others)||£10,969 (490th)|
|Staffing costs||£100,197 (158th)||£92,840 (106th)||£86,566 (221st)||£82,993||£70,841 (293rd)||£68,023 (joint 228th with 71 others)||£65,596 (joint 179th with 51 others)||£52,140 (122nd)|
|Communications Allowance||£14,997 (28th)||£8,290 (316th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£19,152 (25th)1||£19,738 (20th)2||£24,485 (6th)||£19,716||£21,178 (41st)||£21,491 (38th)||£23,544 (26th)||£16,416 (45th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£337 (joint 214th with 2 others)||£517 (joint 202nd with 1 other)||£4,179 (3rd)||£1,409||£2,497 (38th)||£2,461 (35th)||£2,170 (41st)||£2,931 (15th)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£1,743 (57th)||£3,113 (25th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£1,723 (14th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£2,202 (492nd)||£507 (486th)||£728 (405th)||£1,294||£630 (joint 439th with 1 other)||£599 (463rd)||£443 (joint 582nd with 1 other)||£483 (565th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£1,226 (531st)||£2,134 (395th)||£3,260||£1,426 (503rd)||£1,731 (458th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,011 (567th)||£787 (604th)||£0||£1,970 (joint 127th with 5 others)||£1,970 (joint 120th with 5 others)||£1,970 (joint 119th with 5 others)||£1,970 (joint 114th with 5 others)|
|Other Costs||£0||£0||£0||£0||£8,561 (19th)||£0||£5,381 (26th)||£2,219 (26th)|
|Total||£178,231 (24th)||£170,910 (15th)||£158,580 (27th)||£146,281||£146,813 (34th)||£133,957 (76th)||£135,830 (11th)||£100,968 (81st)|