How Nick Brown voted since 2001
Randomly generated selection of topics. See full list.
Voted strongly against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Source
Voted moderately for more EU integration Source
Voted strongly for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Source
Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT Source
Voted strongly for paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Source
Voted very strongly against reducing central government funding of local government Source
Get email notifications when Nick Brown speaks in parliament.
See our much more detailed, easier-to-read analysis of votes on health, welfare, foreign policy, social issues, taxation and more.
Nick Brown hardly ever rebelled against their party in this parliament
To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what his Department's policy is on the use of Braille to communicate with benefit claimants.
To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what assessment he has made of the environmental effect of the Government's road investment strategy announced on 1 December 2014.
To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, in what circumstances disability living allowance is payable for a child who has dyslexia.
More of Nick Brown's recent appearances
Labour MP for Newcastle upon Tyne East
Entered House of Commons on 9 June 1983 — General election
Also represented Newcastle upon Tyne East and Wallsend
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Innovation and Skills
- Work and Pensions
- Communities and Local Government
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Departmental Manpower
- Departmental Responsibilities
- Offshore Industry
- Departmental Offices
Currently held offices
- Member, Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Draft Financial Services Bill (Joint Committee) (18 Jul 2011 to 13 Dec 2011)
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary and Chief Whip (12 May 2010 to 8 Oct 2010)
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury (the North East), HM Treasury (10 Jun 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Minister of State (the North East), Regional Affairs (10 Jun 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Chief Whip (technically Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury) (6 Oct 2008 to 10 Jun 2009)
- Member, Administration Committee (13 Jul 2007 to 28 Oct 2008)
- Deputy Chief Whip (technically Treasurer of Her Majesty's Household) (28 Jun 2007 to 6 Oct 2008)
- Minister of State (Work), Department for Work and Pensions (11 Jun 2001 to 13 Jun 2003)
- Secretary of State, Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (27 Jul 1998 to 9 Jun 2001)
- Chief Whip (technically Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury) (3 May 1997 to 27 Jul 1998)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 32 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 151 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 75.48% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 136 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Nick Brown’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 947 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 6 Jan 2015.
5. Gifts, benefits and hospitality (UK
Address of donor: (1) Members Hill, Brooklands Road, Weybridge, Surrey KT13 0QU; (2) Lewes, East Sussex, BN8 5UU
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: for myself and a guest, afternoon insight tour and evening performance; value under £2,000
Date of receipt of donation: 24 July 2014
Date of acceptance of donation: 24 July 2014
Donor status: (1) company, registration no 01501573; (2) registered charity
(Registered 21 August 2014)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from