Nick Brown’s voting in Parliament
Nick Brown is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Nick Brown’s votes.
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
Generally voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
Almost always voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
Almost always voted against a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
Consistently voted against greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Nick Brown’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Nick Brown’s full vote analysis page for more.
Nick Brown hardly ever rebelled against their party in this parliament
To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what steps he is taking to ensure train companies have simple and easily comprehensible ticketing policies and offer the cheapest ticket for any requested journey.
To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what plans he has to make it easier for passengers to access the cheapest tickets available for any requested journey.
To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what assessment he has made of the level of provision of paediatric palliative care services in North East England (a) in general and (b) in comparison to other English regions.
More of Nick Brown’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Newcastle upon Tyne East
Entered the House of Commons on 9 June 1983 — General election
Also represented Newcastle upon Tyne East and Wallsend
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Innovation and Skills
- Work and Pensions
- Communities and Local Government
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Departmental Manpower
- Departmental Responsibilities
- Offshore Industry
- Departmental Offices
Currently held offices
- Member, Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (since 10 Nov 2015)
- Member, Public Accounts Commission (since 4 Nov 2015)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (since 10 Sep 2015)
- Chair, Finance Committee (since 21 Jul 2015)
- Member, Members Estimate Committee (since 9 Jul 2015)
- Member, House of Commons Commission (since 9 Jul 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Finance Committee (20 Jul 2015 to 21 Jul 2015)
- Member, Draft Financial Services Bill (Joint Committee) (18 Jul 2011 to 13 Dec 2011)
- Member, Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (23 Jun 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary and Chief Whip (12 May 2010 to 8 Oct 2010)
- The Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury (3 Oct 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Administration Committee (12 Jul 2007 to 27 Oct 2008)
- Member, Committee of Selection (4 Jul 2007 to 8 Oct 2008)
- Minister of State (Regional Affairs) (North East) (29 Jun 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- The Treasurer of Her Majesty's Household (28 Jun 2007 to 3 Oct 2008)
- Minister (Department for Work and Pensions) (Work) (8 Jun 2001 to 13 Jun 2003)
- Secretary of State for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (27 Jul 1998 to 8 Jun 2001)
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury (Chief Whip) (3 May 1997 to 26 Jul 1998)
- Member, Committee of Selection (16 Apr 1996 to 21 Mar 1997)
- Opposition Deputy Chief Whip (Commons) (1 Jan 1995 to 1 Jan 1997)
- Member, Broadcasting Committee (1 Jun 1994 to 1 Jun 1995)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Health) (1 Jan 1994 to 1 Jan 1995)
- Shadow Deputy Leader of the House of Commons (1 Jan 1992 to 1 Jan 1994)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Treasury) (1 Jan 1988 to 1 Jan 1994)
- Shadow Solicitor General (1 Jan 1985 to 1 Jan 1992)
- Member, Consolidation etc. Bills (Joint Committee) (16 Feb 1984 to 16 Mar 1992)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 9 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 113 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 57.22% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 123 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Nick Brown’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 957 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from