Does Nick Brown respond to constituents’ emails?
According to our 2015 survey, Nick Brown responded to a
high proportion of messages
sent by constituents on WriteToThem.com.
See the results in context
Nick Brown’s voting in Parliament
Nick Brown is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Nick Brown’s votes.
Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees Show votes
Generally voted against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
Almost always voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
Almost always voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Nick Brown’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Nick Brown’s full vote analysis page for more.
Nick Brown has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what assessment she has made of the effect of the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership agreement on (a) academy chains and (b) the ability of US or European companies to establish academy chains in the UK.
To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office, what revenue the Government has received from the sale of government-owned assets in the Newcastle upon Tyne local authority area between 2010 and 2016.
To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office, what plans the Government has to sell government-owned assets in the Newcastle upon Tyne local authority area.
More of Nick Brown’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Newcastle upon Tyne East
Entered the House of Commons on 9 June 1983 — General election
Also represented Newcastle upon Tyne East and Wallsend
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Innovation and Skills
- Work and Pensions
- Communities and Local Government
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Departmental Manpower
- Departmental Responsibilities
- Offshore Industry
- Departmental Offices
Currently held offices
- Member, Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (since 10 Nov 2015)
- Member, Public Accounts Commission (since 4 Nov 2015)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (since 10 Sep 2015)
- Chair, Finance Committee (since 21 Jul 2015)
- Member, Members Estimate Committee (since 9 Jul 2015)
- Member, House of Commons Commission (since 9 Jul 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Finance Committee (20 Jul 2015 to 21 Jul 2015)
- Member, Draft Financial Services Bill (Joint Committee) (18 Jul 2011 to 13 Dec 2011)
- Member, Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (23 Jun 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary and Chief Whip (12 May 2010 to 8 Oct 2010)
- The Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury (3 Oct 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Administration Committee (12 Jul 2007 to 27 Oct 2008)
- Member, Committee of Selection (4 Jul 2007 to 8 Oct 2008)
- Minister of State (Regional Affairs) (North East) (29 Jun 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- The Treasurer of Her Majesty's Household (28 Jun 2007 to 3 Oct 2008)
- Minister (Department for Work and Pensions) (Work) (8 Jun 2001 to 13 Jun 2003)
- Secretary of State for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (27 Jul 1998 to 8 Jun 2001)
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury (Chief Whip) (3 May 1997 to 26 Jul 1998)
- Member, Committee of Selection (16 Apr 1996 to 21 Mar 1997)
- Opposition Deputy Chief Whip (Commons) (1 Jan 1995 to 1 Jan 1997)
- Member, Broadcasting Committee (1 Jun 1994 to 1 Jun 1995)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Health) (1 Jan 1994 to 1 Jan 1995)
- Shadow Deputy Leader of the House of Commons (1 Jan 1992 to 1 Jan 1994)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Treasury) (1 Jan 1988 to 1 Jan 1994)
- Shadow Solicitor General (1 Jan 1985 to 1 Jan 1992)
- Member, Consolidation etc. Bills (Joint Committee) (16 Feb 1984 to 16 Mar 1992)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 10 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Nick Brown’s speeches
- Has received answers to 144 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 59.66% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 114 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Nick Brown’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 962 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from