This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Clive Betts’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Sheffield South East
- Also represented Sheffield, Attercliffe
- Entered Parliament on 9 April 1992 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Clive Betts
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Clive Betts voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted strongly against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted moderately against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted strongly for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted very strongly for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted very strongly for introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted very strongly for allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted strongly for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted very strongly for the hunting ban. votes
- Voted moderately for university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted moderately for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly for introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted moderately for automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Select Committee membership
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (since 19 Jul 2010)
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Communities and Local Government, Treasury, Deputy Prime Minister, Transport, Work and Pensions
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Departmental Buildings, Housing, Local Government Finance, Social Rented Housing, Housing Revenue Accounts
(based on written questions asked by Clive Betts and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Chairman, Children, Schools and Families Bill Committee (2 out of 12)
- Chairman, Sunbeds (Regulation) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Local Transport Bill Committee (10 out of 10)
- Planning Bill Committee (18 out of 18)
- Electoral Administration Bill Committee (4 out of 5)
- Housing Bill Committee (10 out of 19)
- Planning and Compulsory Purchase (Re-committed) Bill Committee (7 out of 8)
- Football (Disorder) (Amendment) Bill Committee (1 out of 2)
No data to display.
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 44 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 39 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 75.14% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 11 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 64 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Clive Betts’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 465 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£22,105 (191st)||£23,081 (joint 148th with 1 other)||£22,110 (joint 1st with 183 others)||£21,634||£20,902 (joint 1st with 187 others)||£20,333 (joint 3rd with 149 others)||£19,722 (joint 1st with 230 others)||£15,609 (joint 275th with 2 others)|
|London costs||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£17 (joint 121st with 8 others)|
|Office running costs||£23,202 (83rd)||£17,096 (393rd)||£20,168 (351st)||£19,948||£19,325 (joint 11th with 77 others)||£18,799 (joint 13th with 178 others)||£18,234 (joint 1st with 183 others)||£20,668 (144th)|
|Staffing costs||£97,443 (257th)||£94,748 (58th)||£87,548 (143rd)||£84,133||£74,214 (joint 160th with 13 others)||£71,773 (joint 85th with 44 others)||£65,271 (287th)||£45,043 (362nd)|
|Communications Allowance||£10,708 (144th)||£9,999 (141st)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£9,723 (209th)1||£10,778 (198th)2||£9,901 (221st)||£10,631||£12,508 (250th)||£11,994 (244th)||£12,500 (222nd)||£11,096 (167th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£1,331 (53rd)||£1,271 (69th)||£415 (246th)||£333||£549 (267th)||£1,080 (151st)||£1,512 (96th)||£646 (205th)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£5,222 (168th)||£1,393 (111th)||£1,352 (182nd)||£942||£1,562 (162nd)||£992 (255th)||£1,446 (171st)||£964 (345th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£3,542 (171st)||£5,032 (136th)||£3,181||£5,810 (109th)||£4,083 (161st)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,347 (joint 118th with 2 others)||£1,187 (129th)||£0||£1,888 (joint 320th with 6 others)||£1,888 (joint 315th with 5 others)||£1,888 (joint 309th with 5 others)||£1,888 (joint 291st with 5 others)|
|Other Costs||£0||£0||£832 (joint 64th with 2 others)||£158||£2,822 (59th)||£0||£0||£0|
|Total||£169,734 (78th)||£163,255 (66th)||£148,545 (110th)||£140,960||£139,580 (66th)||£130,942 (102nd)||£120,573 (155th)||£95,931 (148th)|