A selection of Stuart Bell's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
Generally voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
Almost always voted for paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
Generally voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Stuart Bell’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Stuart Bell’s full vote analysis page for more.
I am grateful for the opportunity to follow the hon. Member for Harwich and North Essex (Mr Jenkin). I will seek not to respond to what he said but, if possible, to build upon it. Like the Leader of the House, I have sat through debates on Lords abolition and reform for many a year. My hon. Friend the Member for Wrexham (Ian Lucas) said yesterday that the Lords had far too many Members...
The Prime Minister has referred several times to the national interest. He also referred to the brief discussion on the ban on oil imports from Iran. Is not that ban an example of how the European Union acting in concert can assist the British national interest?
May I build on the question put by my right hon. Friend the former Chancellor of the Exchequer about the independence of LIBOR? The Chancellor has not referred to the British Bankers Association, which was involved in 1984 in putting the rate together. Is it appropriate to talk again to the association to see if we can get a true, independent LIBOR?
More of Stuart Bell’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Middlesbrough
Entered the House of Commons on 9 June 1983 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 13 October 2012 — Died
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Innovation and Skills
- Trade and Industry
- Cleveland Constabulary
- Online Tax Return Services
- Cleveland Police Authority
- Crown Courts
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (27 Oct 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Members Estimate Committee (4 Jun 2008 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Members Estimates Committee (20 Mar 2007 to 4 Jun 2008)
- Member, Liaison Committee (1 Nov 2005 to 11 May 2010)
- Chairman, Finance & Services Committee (1 Nov 2005 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Finance & Services Committee (20 Jul 2005 to 1 Nov 2005)
- Member, Ecclesiastical Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Liaison Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Chairman, Finance & Services Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Second Church Estates Commissioner (5 May 1997 to 11 May 2010)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 17 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 6 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 51.47% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 10 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 67 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 694 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 30 Apr 2012.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
23 January 2012, received commissioning fee of £1,000 for future articles from Associated Newspapers Ltd, Northcliffe House, 2 Derry Street, London W8 5TT. Hours: none. (Registered 30 January 2012)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from