A selection of Alan Beith's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted for encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
Almost always voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
Consistently voted for reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
Generally voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
Almost always voted for reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
Generally voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Alan Beith’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Alan Beith’s full vote analysis page for more.
When I took my seat in the House with a slender majority of 57 after the Berwick by-election, a state of emergency was declared at the same time. I do not think the two events were connected, but they were the beginning of a sequence which involved two further elections in the next 11 months. At the end of that I still had a majority of only 73. We then went into a referendum on British...
I welcome the attention that the hon. Gentleman has brought to this matter, as he has on previous occasions. The root of the problem is the distinction between compensation for negligence, which rightly exists to ensure that a negligent organisation pays a penalty, and the provision of the help that people who have suffered vaccine damage ought to get, even if there is no possibility of...
I remind my hon. Friend that until the coalition Government sorted out earlier problems at the RPA, I was having to deal with hundreds of cases of farmers in my constituency who were affected and make representations on their behalf. Has he noted the fact that we will soon be in a six-week election period during which none of us, whether or not we are standing for re-election, will have the...
More of Alan Beith’s recent appearances
Former Liberal Democrat MP for Berwick-upon-Tweed
Entered the House of Commons on 8 November 1973 — unknown
Left the House of Commons on 30 March 2015 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Trade and Industry
- Unpaid Advisers
- Public Records
- Parliamentary Advisers
- Project Sponsorship
Other offices held in the past
- Chair, National Policy Statements Sub-Committee (21 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Chair, Liaison Committee (Commons) (21 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (13 Jan 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Committee on Issue of Privilege (Police Searches on Parliamentary Estate) (13 Jul 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Chair, Justice Committee (6 Nov 2007 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Constitutional Affairs Committee (5 Nov 2007 to 8 Nov 2007)
- Member, Speaker's Committee on the Electoral Commission (9 Oct 2006 to 6 May 2010)
- Chair, Constitutional Affairs Committee (4 Feb 2003 to 5 Nov 2007)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (4 Feb 2003 to 21 Jul 2010)
- Member, Constitutional Affairs Committee (28 Jan 2003 to 4 Feb 2003)
- Member, Intelligence and Security Committee of Parliament (30 Jul 2001 to 24 Nov 2008)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Cabinet Office) (1 Jun 2001 to 1 Jun 2002)
- Member, Speaker's Committee on the Electoral Commission (1 Jan 2001 to 24 May 2005)
- Member, Procedure Committee (14 Feb 2000 to 11 May 2001)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Home Affairs) (1 Jan 1995 to 1 Jan 1997)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Home Affairs) (1 Jan 1994 to 1 Jun 1999)
- Member, Treasury & Civil Service Committee (17 Jun 1987 to 28 Nov 1994)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Treasury) (1 Jan 1987 to 1 Jun 1994)
- Member, Privileges Committee (14 May 1986 to 15 May 1987)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs) (1 Jan 1985 to 1 Jan 1987)
- Member, House of Commons (Services): Accomodation & Administration Sub-Committee (9 Jun 1983 to 5 Dec 1985)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (9 Jun 1983 to 5 Dec 1985)
- Member, Committee of Selection (1 Nov 1978 to 9 Jun 1983)
- Member, Procedure Committee (1 Nov 1978 to 15 May 1987)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (1 Jan 1976 to 1 Jan 1987)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 60 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 31 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 76.92% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 9 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 62 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 2165 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 30 Mar 2015.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
Payments from ComRes
, 4 Millbank, London SW1P 3JA, for opinion research:
Payment of £75. Hours: 2 hrs (January 2014). Payment donated to my constituency
party. (Registered 18 July 2014)
Payment of £75. Hours: 2 hrs (April 2014). Payment donated to my constituency party. (Registered 18 July 2014)
Payment of £75. Hours: 2 hrs (October 2014). Payment donated to my constituency party. (Registered 27 November 2014)
Payment of £75. Hours: 2 hrs (November 2014). Payment donated to my constituency party. (Registered 24 February 2015)
Payments from Ipsos MORI, 79-81 Borough Road, London SE1 1FY for opinion surveys.
Payment of £200. Hours: 1.5 hr. Payment donated to my constituency party. (Registered 3 February 2015)
Chairman of the Historic Chapels Trust; until 13 October 2014. (Updated 17 March 2015)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from