This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on James Arbuthnot’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for North East Hampshire
- Also represented Wanstead and Woodford
- Entered Parliament on 11 June 1987 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by James Arbuthnot
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How James Arbuthnot voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted moderately for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted very strongly against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted very strongly against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted strongly against equal gay rights. votes
- Voted strongly against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted strongly against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately for a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted moderately for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted very strongly for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted moderately against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted moderately for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted moderately against the hunting ban. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted moderately against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted moderately against more EU integration. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Select Committee membership
- Member, Armed Forces Bill Committee (since 17 Jan 2011)
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Defence, Trade and Industry, Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Transport, Treasury
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Export Credits Guarantee Department, UK Trade and Investment, Chinook Crash, Members: Correspondence, Aircraft Crashes
(based on written questions asked by James Arbuthnot and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Oral Answers to Questions — Treasury: Defence Procurement (10 Dec 2013)
“My right hon. Friend has just said that these changes would “permit the recruitment into DE&S of key commercial and technical staff at market rates and with minimum bureaucracy”. What exactly does that mean? Does it mean that the civil service terms and conditions of service have been abandoned and only for DE&S?”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 21 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 2 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 71.78% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 11 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 126 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on James Arbuthnot’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 395 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£24,006 (joint 1st with 48 others)||£23,083 (joint 1st with 142 others)||£22,110 (joint 1st with 183 others)||£21,634||£20,902 (joint 1st with 187 others)||£20,318 (188th)||£19,722 (joint 1st with 230 others)||£15,809 (joint 210th with 3 others)|
|London costs||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£1,101 (joint 110th with 1 other)|
|Office running costs||£12,315 (526th)||£17,170 (386th)||£24,808 (99th)||£19,935||£19,096 (215th)||£18,799 (joint 13th with 178 others)||£17,677 (425th)||£9,062 (547th)|
|Staffing costs||£92,471 (394th)||£84,145 (437th)||£83,291 (360th)||£79,913||£72,298 (240th)||£68,025 (227th)||£53,140 (601st)||£52,343 (116th)|
|Communications Allowance||£9,057 (joint 303rd with 1 other)||£12,792 (45th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£3,817 (511th)1||£4,534 (493rd)2||£4,230 (504th)||£3,854||£6,701 (473rd)||£5,057 (519th)||£5,220 (518th)||£4,823 (479th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£14 (joint 415th with 1 other)||£73 (joint 390th with 2 others)||£51 (joint 410th with 1 other)||£0||£0||£0||£18 (joint 461st with 1 other)||£0|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£492 (joint 199th with 1 other)||£327 (joint 255th with 1 other)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£244 (49th)||£232 (joint 61st with 1 other)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£1,799 (joint 541st with 1 other)||£568 (450th)||£473 (541st)||£599||£433 (542nd)||£378 (570th)||£672 (joint 481st with 1 other)||£739 (434th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£1,838 (403rd)||£2,362 (359th)||£2,145||£1,308 (528th)||£694 (joint 606th with 2 others)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,430 (48th)||£1,352 (27th)||£292||£1,859 (joint 386th with 1 other)||£1,567 (539th)||£1,567 (512th)||£1,567 (434th)|
|Other Costs||£1,829 (68th)||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0|
|Total||£146,043 (374th)||£146,192 (333rd)||£138,677 (307th)||£128,372||£122,597 (348th)||£114,838 (423rd)||£98,016 (562nd)||£85,444 (394th)|