This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Diane Abbott’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington
- Entered Parliament on 11 June 1987 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Diane Abbott
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Diane Abbott voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted moderately against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Voted moderately for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted very strongly against the Iraq war. votes
- Voted moderately against an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted moderately against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted strongly against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted moderately for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted moderately for automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted moderately against replacing Trident. votes
- Voted moderately for the hunting ban. votes
- Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted moderately for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted very strongly for a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately against a stricter asylum system. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Never rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Health, Home Department, International Development, Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Education
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Haiti, Catering, Mental Health, Health, Asylum Seekers
(based on written questions asked by Diane Abbott and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Mental Health (Discrimination) (No. 2) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Equality Bill Committee (14 out of 20)
- Violent Crime Reduction Bill Committee (7 out of 7)
- Civil Partnership Bill Committee (5 out of 5)
- Tributes to Nelson Mandela (9 Dec 2013)
“The fact that the House of Commons has spent the whole day paying tribute to Nelson Mandela is, of course, a tribute to the man himself, but it is also a tribute to the thousands of Africans who struggled for their freedom. It is a tribute to activists such as Steve Biko, it is a tribute to the ANC and to the ANC in exile, but it is also a tribute to the thousands of ordinary people in, I...”
- Written Answers — Health: HIV Infection (4 Dec 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Health what steps he is taking to raise the issue of HIV prevention with his European counterparts; and if he will make a statement.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 35 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 108 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 67.78% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 19 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 297 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Diane Abbott’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 577 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0|
|London costs||£2,916 (joint 1st with 49 others)||£2,812 (joint 1st with 47 others)||£2,712 (joint 1st with 46 others)||£2,613||£1,618 (joint 1st with 118 others)||£1,574 (joint 1st with 101 others)||£1,527 (joint 1st with 101 others)||£1,227 (joint 1st with 81 others)|
|Office running costs||£14,225 (460th)||£20,178 (234th)||£20,306 (334th)||£20,225||£19,323 (joint 99th with 1 other)||£18,789 (joint 246th with 3 others)||£18,233 (joint 185th with 7 others)||£13,965 (380th)|
|Staffing costs||£105,341 (48th)||£90,325 (208th)||£81,807 (408th)||£83,818||£83,648 (26th)||£68,114 (223rd)||£72,310 (joint 1st with 23 others)||£46,812 (289th)|
|Communications Allowance||£12,233 (85th)||£7,948 (334th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£234 (635th)1||£1,789 (593rd)2||£2,415 (574th)||£3,466||£4,064 (564th)||£4,761 (535th)||£4,219 (555th)||£4,581 (487th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£6,271 (104th)||£1,521 (89th)||£2,125 (88th)||£1,091||£389 (558th)||£810 (350th)||£2,791 (joint 29th with 1 other)||£1,780 (107th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£3,906 (144th)||£4,501 (162nd)||£2,589||£1,322 (527th)||£280 (joint 642nd with 1 other)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,351 (108th)||£1,166 (joint 151st with 11 others)||£1,166||£2,038 (29th)||£2,038 (25th)||£2,038 (25th)||£2,038 (24th)|
|Other Costs||£1,243 (80th)||£1,905 (57th)||£0||£0||£0||£0||£1,827 (54th)||£0|
|Total||£142,463 (421st)||£131,735 (513th)||£115,032 (584th)||£114,968||£112,402 (521st)||£96,366 (611th)||£102,945 (514th)||£70,403 (598th)|