Education and Inspections Bill
Lord Baker of Dorking (Conservative)
moved Amendment No. 12:
After Clause 45, insert the following new clause-
"ADMISSION ARRANGEMENTS FOR ADDITIONAL SCHOOLS WITH RELIGIOUS CHARACTER
After section 90 of SSFA 1998 insert-
"90A ADMISSION ARRANGEMENTS FOR ADDITIONAL SCHOOLS WITH RELIGIOUS CHARACTER
(1) This section applies where an additional foundation or voluntary school with a religious character is to be established.
(2) The local education authority for the area in which the school is to be established may, if they so desire, specify that up to 25 per cent of places at the school shall be allocated to pupils who do not follow the religion or religious denomination of the school.
(3) Where the local education authority specify a number of places under subsection (2), the admission authority for the school must make admission arrangements accordingly.
(4) Where the local education authority decide not to specify a number of places under subsection (2), the consent of the Secretary of State for that decision is required if subsection (5) applies.
(5) This subsection applies if it appears to the Secretary of State that there would be significant opposition from residents of the area of the local education authority to the additional school only admitting pupils who follow the religion or religious denomination of the school.
(6) For the purposes of this section, a school is "additional" if it does not replace a school which has been or is to be discontinued.
(7) References in this section to a school with a religious character shall be construed in accordance with section 69(3).""