House of Commons debates
Monday, 26 November 2012
- Oral Answers to Questions — Defence
The Secretary of State was asked—
- Cadet Forces (11 speeches)
what steps his Department is taking to increase the number of cadet forces in the UK.
- Afghanistan (13 speeches)
What assessment he has made of likely UK military commitments in Afghanistan in 2015.
- Joint Strike Fighter (6 speeches)
How many joint strike fighter jets his Department plans to procure.
- Reserve Forces (9 speeches)
What recent progress he has made on enabling businesses to employ members of the reserves.
- Departmental Contracts (10 speeches)
What steps he is taking to enable small and medium-sized enterprises to bid for procurement contracts with his Department.
- Operation Atalanta (6 speeches)
What assessment he has made of the success of Operation Atalanta.
- European Defence Co-operation (10 speeches)
What assessment he has made of the scope for improved European defence co-operation.
- Combat Immunity (6 speeches)
What his policy is on combat immunity; and if he will make a statement.
- Afghanistan (10 speeches)
What recent progress there has been on security transition in Afghanistan.
- Libya (6 speeches)
What estimate he has made of the cost of UK military intervention in Libya.
- 12th Mechanized Brigade (7 speeches)
Whether he has met the commander of 12th Mechanized Brigade following its return from Afghanistan.
- Defence Equipment and Support (6 speeches)
What plans he has for the future of Defence Equipment and Support; and if he will make a statement.
- Armed Forces Pensions (5 speeches)
What comparative assessment he has made of the value and terms of armed forces pensions and other public sector pensions. The Minister of State, Ministry of Defence (Mr Mark Francois): There are...
- Topical Questions (30 speeches)
If he will make a statement on his departmental responsibilities.
- Bank of England (54 speeches)
I would like the House of Commons to be the first to know about the future leadership of the Bank of England, and the identity of its next Governor. Sir Mervyn King has served as Governor with...
- European Council (110 speeches, 2 annotations)
With permission, Mr Speaker, I would like to make a statement on the European Union Council last week. Last week’s Council was unable to reach agreement on a seven-year budget framework....
- Flooding (68 speeches)
With permission, Mr. Speaker, I shall make a statement on flooding. The House will be aware of the exceptional rainfall that has been experienced over the last few days, and will also be aware...
- Points of Order (8 speeches, 1 annotation)
On a point of order, Mr Deputy Speaker. Have you received any intimation from the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions or the Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, the hon. Member...
- Small Charitable Donations Bill (0 speeches)
Consideration of Bill, as amended in the Public Bill Committee
- New Clause 1 — Annual Report (18 speeches)
‘(1) The Treasury must, within 24 months of the Act coming into force and annually thereafter, prepare a report on the Gift Aid Small Donations Scheme (GASDS) and lay it before the House of...
- Clause 1 — Top-up payments in respect of small donations made to eligible charities (6 speeches)
I beg to move amendment 4, page 1, line 17, leave out ‘maximum donations limit’ and insert ‘the specified amount.’. This amendment is consequential on amendment 3.
- Clause 2 — Meaning of “eligible charity” (0 speeches)
Amendments made: 24, page 2, line 12, leave out ‘3 of the previous 7’ and insert ‘2 of the previous 4’. This amendment, and amendments 25 to 27, change...
- Clause 7 — Meaning of “running charitable activities in a community building” etc (0 speeches)
Amendment made: 28, page 5, line 24, leave out ‘HMRC’ and insert ‘The Treasury’.—(Sajid Javid.) This amendment makes the Treasury, rather than...
- Clause 8 — Meaning of “community building” (0 speeches)
Amendment made: 29, page 6, line 4, leave out ‘HMRC’ and insert ‘The Treasury’.—(Sajid Javid.) This amendment makes the Treasury, rather than...
- Clause 14 — Power to alter specified amount etc (0 speeches)
Amendments made: 30, page 11, line 5, at end insert— ‘(1A) The Treasury may by order amend this Act for the purpose of— (a) amending the gift aid matching...
- Schedule 1 — Meaning of “small donation”: conditions (11 speeches)
I beg to move amendment 34, page 14, line 4, leave out ‘in cash’. This amendment allows for gifts made by contactless cash card and mobile telephone transactions where it is...
- Business without Debate (0 speeches)
- Delegated Legislation (1 speech)
With the leave of the House, we shall take motions 2 and 3 together. Motion made, and Question put forthwith ( Standing Order No. 118(6)),
- Legal Services (0 speeches)
That the draft Legal Services Act 2007 (The Law Society) (Modification of Functions) (Amendment) Order 2012, which was laid before this House on 15 October, be approved.
- Housing (0 speeches)
That the draft Housing Act 1996 (Additional Preference for Armed Forces) (England) Regulations 2012, which were laid before this House on 18 October, be approved.—(Mr Swayne.) Question...
- Committees (1 speech)
With the leave of the House, I shall take motions 4 to 7 together. Ordered,
- Communities and Local government (0 speeches)
That Heidi Alexander be discharged from the Communities and Local Government Committee and Andy Sawford be added.
- Home Affairs (0 speeches)
That Karl Turner be added to the Home Affairs Committee.
- Transport (0 speeches)
That Tom Harris be discharged from the Transport Committee and Lucy Powell be added.
- Welsh Affairs (0 speeches)
That Susan Elan Jones be discharged from the Welsh Affairs Committee and Stephen Doughty be added.—(Mr Randall , on behalf of the Committee of Selection.)
- Access to Sanitation (7 speeches)
Motion made, and Question proposed, That this House do now adjourn.—(Mr Swayne.)