House of Commons debates
Wednesday, 12 September 2012
- Business before Questions — Hillsborough (0 speeches)
Resolved, That an Humble Address be presented to Her Majesty, That she will be graciously pleased to give directions that there be laid before this House a Return of the Report, dated 12...
- Oral Answers to Questions — Scotland
The Secretary of State was asked—
- Independence (Defence Industry) (10 speeches)
What discussions he has had with the Secretary of State for Defence on the effect on Scottish-based defence jobs if Scotland becomes an independent country.
- Common Agricultural Policy (13 speeches)
What discussions he has had with his ministerial colleagues on reform of the common agricultural policy as it affects Scotland.
- Olympic and Paralympic Games (13 speeches)
What assessment he has made of the effect on the Scottish economy of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic games.
- Post Offices (8 speeches)
What recent discussions he has had with his ministerial colleagues on the Government contracting services to post offices in Scotland.
- Minimum Alcohol Price (6 speeches)
What assessment his Department has made of the introduction of a 50p per unit fixed minimum alcohol price in Scotland.
- Trade Unions (Blacklisting) (6 speeches)
How many publicly funded projects in Scotland have been undertaken by firms which engage in blacklisting against trade union members.
- Public Expenditure (6 speeches)
What recent estimate he has made of public expenditure per head of population in Scotland.
- West Lothian Question (6 speeches)
What recent discussions he has had with the Deputy Prime Minister on the West Lothian question.
- Olympic and Paralympic Games (6 speeches)
What involvement his Department had with the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic games; and if he will make a statement.
- Oral Answers to Questions — Prime Minister
The Prime Minister was asked—
- Engagements (64 speeches)
If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 12 September.
- Hillsborough (86 speeches)
With permission, Mr Speaker, I would like to make a statement on the report of the Hillsborough independent panel. Today, the Bishop of Liverpool, the Right Rev. James Jones, is publishing the...
- Coroners and Justice (Amendment) (1 speech)
Motion for leave to bring in a Bill ( Standing Order No. 23)
- Defamation Bill (0 speeches)
Consideration of Bill, as amended in the Public Bill Committee
- New Clause 1 — Order for removal of defamatory statement from website (19 speeches)
‘(1) Where a court gives judgment for the claimant in an action for defamation the court may order the operator of a website on which the defamatory statement is posted to remove the...
- New Clause 2 — Disapplication of Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012 (13 speeches)
‘Sections 44 and 46 of the Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012 shall not apply in relation to civil actions for defamation, malicious falsehood, breach of confidence,...
- New Clause 4 — Publication on matters of public interest (40 speeches)
‘(1) The publication of a statement which is, or forms part of, a statement on a matter of public interest is privileged unless the publication is shown to be made with malice. (2)...
- Clause 5 — Operators of websites (0 speeches)
Amendment proposed: 7, page 3, line 22, leave out clause 5.—(Robert Flello .) Question put, That the amendment be made. The House divided: Ayes 204, Noes 276.
- Clause 10 — Action against a person who was not the author, editor etc (31 speeches)
I beg to move amendment 8, page 8, line 26, leave out from ‘court’ to end of line 28 and insert— ‘(a) is satisfied that it is not reasonably...
- Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards (6 speeches)
I beg to move, That Ms Kathryn Hudson be appointed Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards on the terms of the Report of the House of Commons Commission, HC 539, dated 17 July 2012. The motion...
- Business without Debate — European Union Documents (0 speeches)
Motion made, and Question put forthwith ( Standing Order No. 119(11)),
- EU Mortgages Directive (0 speeches)
That this House takes note of European Union Document No. 8680/11 and Addenda 1 to 4, relating to a draft Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council on credit agreements relating to...
- Delegated Legislation (1 speech)
With the leave of the House, we shall take motions 5 to 10 together. Motion made, and Question put forthwith ( Standing Order No. 118(6)),
- Public Bodies (0 speeches)
That the draft Public Bodies (Abolition of Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Courts Administration and the Public Guardian Board) Order 2012, which was laid before this House on 10 May, be...
- Debt Management and Relief (0 speeches)
That the draft Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007 (Consequential Amendments) Order 2012, which was laid before this House on 21 June, be approved.
- Public Bodies (0 speeches)
That the draft Public Bodies (Abolition of the Crown Court Rule Committee and Magistrates’ Courts Rule Committee) Order 2012, which was laid before this House on 17 May, be approved. That...
- Northern Ireland (0 speeches)
That the draft Northern Ireland Act 1998 (Devolution of Policing and Justice Functions) Order 2012, which was laid before this House on 11 June, be approved.—(Mr Syms.) Question agreed to....
- Social Security (1 speech)
That the draft Jobseeker’s Allowance (Sanctions) (Amendment) Regulations 2012, which were laid before this House on 9 July, be approved.—(Mr Syms.) The House divided: Ayes 256, Noes 177.
- Family Law (0 speeches)
That the draft Child Support Maintenance Calculation Regulations 2012, which were laid before this House on 2 July, be approved. That the draft Child Support Maintenance (Changes to Basic Rate...
- Gloucestershire Libraries (27 speeches)
Motion made, and Question proposed, That this House do now adjourn.—(Mr Syms.)