House of Commons debates
Tuesday, 21 July 2009
- Business Before Questions (0 speeches)
- New Writ (3 speeches)
I beg to move, That the Speaker do issue his Warrant to the Clerk of the Crown to make out a new Writ-
- Oral Answers to Questions — Justice (0 speeches)
The Secretary of State was asked-
- Diversity (Judiciary) (9 speeches)
What steps his Department is taking to increase levels of diversity in the judiciary.
- Magistrates Courts (4 speeches)
How many magistrates courts have been in operation in each year since 2005.
- Probation Service (12 speeches)
What representations he has received on levels of probation service funding for the next three years.
- Young Offenders (10 speeches)
What recent steps his Department has taken to reduce reoffending rates among young offenders.
- Licence Breaches (10 speeches)
How many persons convicted of a criminal offence and released on licence are in breach of the conditions of their licence.
- Electoral Reform (12 speeches)
What recent assessment he has made of the merits of proposals for reform of the electoral system for general elections.
- Youth Justice (6 speeches)
What recent steps he has taken to divert children and young people from the criminal justice system.
- Prisons (4 speeches)
What mechanism exists for the management of contracts awarded to public sector bidders for the management of market-tested prisons.
- Pleural Plaques (8 speeches)
When the Government plan to publish their decision following their consultation on pleural plaques.
- National Security and Intelligence Services (7 speeches)
What recent discussions he has had with ministerial colleagues on proposals in his Department's White Paper on constitutional renewal on parliamentary oversight of national security and the...
- Foreign National Prisoners (4 speeches)
Which three nationalities comprise the largest number of foreign national prisoners; and how many prisoners of each such nationality there are.
- International Criminal Jurisdiction (6 speeches)
What recent representations he has received on the jurisdiction of UK courts over cases involving crimes under international law committed in other countries.
- Shoplifting (4 speeches)
What recent discussions he has had with the Magistrates Courts Authority on the implementation of sentencing guidelines for shoplifting.
- Drugs (Prisons) (4 speeches)
What plans he has to reduce levels of drug taking in prisons.
- Topical Questions (34 speeches)
If he will make a statement on his departmental responsibilities.
- Equitable Life (29 speeches)
(Urgent Question): To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer if he will make a statement on the parliamentary ombudsman's follow-up report on Equitable Life and to clarify the work of Sir John...
- Issue of Writ (27 speeches)
I beg to move, That the Speaker do issue his Warrant to the Clerk of the Crown, to make out a new Writ for the electing of a Member to serve in this present Parliament for the Borough...
- Bills Presented (0 speeches)
- Public Buildings (publication of Energy Performance Certificates) Bill (0 speeches)
Presentation and First Reading ( Standing Order No. 57) Greg Clark, supported by Charles Hendry, Gregory Barker, Mr. Oliver Letwin, Bill Wiggin, Alan Simpson, Mr. John Gummer, Justine Greening...
- Public Transport (reward Scheme and Concessionary Fares) Bill (0 speeches)
Presentation and First Reading ( Standing Order No. 57) Mr. Colin Challen presented a Bill to make provision for the introduction of a reward scheme for users of bus and rail services; and to...
- PARLIAMENTARY STANDARDS BILL (PROGRAMME) (No. 2) (0 speeches)
Motion made, and Question put forthwith ( Standing Order No. 83 (7) A), That the following provisions shall apply to the Parliamentary Standards Bill for the purpose of supplementing the Order of...
- Parliamentary Standards Bill (0 speeches)
Consideration of Lords amendments Before Clause 1
- Bill of Rights (62 speeches)
Lords amendment 1
- Summer Recess Adjournment (19 speeches)
Motion made, and Question proposed, That this House do now adjourn.-( Mr. Roy).
- Royal Assent (115 speeches, 5 annotations)
I have to notify the House, in accordance with the Royal Assent Act 1967, that Her Majesty has signified her Royal Assent to the following Acts: Appropriation (No. 2) Act 2009 Finance Act 2009...
- Access to Parliament (United Kingdom Members of the European Parliament) (1 speech)
Motion made, That the Resolutions of the House of 30 January 1989 relating to House of Commons Services and 6 December 1991 relating to Access (Former members and United Kingdom Members of the...
- Regional Select Committee (West Midlands) (1 speech)
Motion made, That Dr Richard Taylor be a member of the West Midlands Regional Select Committee.-( Kerry McCarthy.)
- Regional Select Committee (Yorkshire and the Humber) (1 speech)
Motion made, That Mary Creagh be discharged from the Yorkshire and the Humber Regional Select Committee and Mr Austin Mitchell be added.-( Kerry McCarthy.)
- Regional Select Committee (South West) (1 speech)
Motion made, That Linda Gilroy be discharged from the South West Regional Select Committee and Roger Berry be added.-( Kerry McCarthy.)
- Petitions (0 speeches)
- Surface Mining (Shropshire) (3 speeches)
I wish to raise an important issue in my constituency-[ Interruption.]
- Decent Homes Programme (Funding) (1 speech)
Before we break for the summer, I want to raise a matter that requires action by the Government before the end of the recess. I wish to present a petition on behalf of thousands of tenants in my...
- Storage of Embryos (1 speech)
My second petition relates to an issue of human rights in respect of people who have had life-saving medical treatment but, as a result, become infertile. However, they have made provision to...
- Gurkha Pensions (6 speeches)
Motion made, and Question proposed, That this House do now adjourn. -(Kerry McCarthy.)