House of Commons debates
Wednesday, 1 November 2006
- Oral Answers to Questions — Deputy Prime Minister
The Deputy Prime Minister was asked—
- Comprehensive Spending Review (10 speeches, 2 annotations)
What work he has undertaken on Government policy with regard to the 2007 comprehensive spending review.
- Post Office (16 speeches)
What discussions he has had on the Post Office network since May 2006.
- Homelessness (12 speeches, 6 annotations)
What steps he has taken to improve co-ordination of the Government's homelessness strategy.
- Ministerial Visits (11 speeches, 3 annotations)
What the outcomes were of his recent visit to the far east.
- Equal Pay (6 speeches)
What discussions he has held with stakeholders on equal pay across the public sector; and if he will make a statement.
- Oral Answers to Questions — Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster
The Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster was asked—
- Mental Health (7 speeches, 1 annotation)
What Government policy is on the support employers should offer to those with severe mental health problems.
- Oral Answers to Questions — Prime Minister
The Prime Minister was asked—
- Engagements (55 speeches, 6 annotations)
If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 1 November.
- Speaker's Statement (1 speech)
I wish to make a statement to the House about ministerial statements. A ministerial statement is an important aspect of Government's accountability to Parliament, but to be effective the occasion...
- Point of Order (2 speeches)
On a point of order, Mr. Speaker. This morning's edition of The Sun newspaper carries a report of a threatened crime wave arising from immigration from Bulgaria and Romania. The report appears...
- Registration of Off-road Bikes (1 speech)
I beg to move, That leave be given to bring in a Bill to require off-road bikes to be registered; and for connected purposes. This is the third time in the past four weeks that a Member has asked...
- Registration of Off-road Bikes (0 speeches)
Barbara Keeley accordingly presented a Bill to require off-road bikes to be registered; and for connected purposes: And the same was read the First time; and ordered to be read a Second time on...
- Business of the House (0 speeches)
Ordered, That, at this day's sitting, the Speaker shall put the Questions necessary to dispose of proceedings on the Motions in the name of Mr Jack Straw relating to:— (1) Legislative...
- Legislative Process (249 speeches, 2 annotations)
I beg to move, That this House welcomes the First Report from the Select Committee on Modernisation of the House of Commons on the Legislative Process (HC 1097); approves in particular the...
- Deferred Divisions (1 speech)
I have now to announce the results of the Divisions deferred from a previous day. On the motion relating to Northern Ireland, the Ayes were 250, the Noes were 227, so the motion was agreed to. On...
- Legislative Process (Standing Orders) (0 speeches)
Ordered, That the following repeals of Standing Orders, new Standing Orders, and amendments to Standing Orders be made with effect from the start of the next Session of Parliament; and that...
- Legislative Process (Notice for Amendments in Public Bill Committee) (0 speeches)
Motion made, and Question put, That, subject to the discretion of the Chair, notices of amendments to bills committed to a public bill committee should be tabled not later than three sitting...
- Communications Allowance (0 speeches)
Motion made, and Question put, That this House welcomes the principle of establishing, from 1st April 2007, a separate Allowance for Members of Parliament to assist in the work of communicating...
- September Sittings (0 speeches)
Motion made, and Question proposed, That this House welcomes the introduction of a procedure for the tabling and answering of written questions and the making of written ministerial statements...
- MATTERS SUB JUDICE (No. 1) (0 speeches)
Resolved, That this House approves the Second Report from the Procedure Committee (HC 714) on the Application of the sub judice rule to proceedings in coroners' courts.— [Mr. Straw.]
- MATTERS SUB JUDICE (No. 2) (0 speeches)
Ordered, That, with effect from the beginning of the next Session of Parliament, (1) the following Standing Order (Sub judice) be made: '42A. The Speaker, or the chairman, may direct any Member...
- Select Committee Evidence (0 speeches)
Resolved, That this House approves the Second Report from the Liaison Committee (HC 1271) on A New Publication Order for Select Committee Evidence.— [Mr. Straw.]
- European Standing Committees (Temporary Nomination) (0 speeches)
Ordered, That the Order of the House of 7th July 2005 relating to European Standing Committees (Temporary Nomination) shall continue to have effect until the end of the next Session of...
- Short Speeches (0 speeches)
Motion made, and Question put, That, with effect from the beginning of the next Session of Parliament, the following amendment to Standing Order No. 47 (Short speeches) be made: Line 20, at end...
- Notices of Questions (0 speeches)
Ordered, That, notwithstanding sub-paragraph (a) of the proviso to paragraph (5) of Standing Order No. 22 (Notices of questions, motions and amendments), notices of questions for oral answer on...
- Petition (0 speeches)
- Iraq (1 speech)
I have been asked to present a petition about an aspect of the situation in Iraq that has gone largely unreported: the systematic attacks on and murder of gay and lesbian Iraqis. The petition is...
- Birmingham New Street Station (8 speeches)
Motion made, and Question proposed, That this House do now adjourn. —[Mr. Michael Foster.]
- Deferred Divisions (0 speeches)
- Northern Ireland (0 speeches)
That the draft Rates (Amendment) (Northern Ireland) Order 2006, which was laid before this House on 9(th) October, be approved. The House divided: Ayes 250, Noes 227.
- voluntary reduction ("modulation") of direct farm support payments (0 speeches)
That this House takes note of European Union Documents No. 10014/06, Draft Council Regulation laying down rules for voluntary modulation of direct payments provided for in Regulation (EC)...