House of Commons debates
Thursday, 20 April 1978
- Preamble (0 speeches)
The House met at half-past Two o'clock
- Prayers (0 speeches)
[Mr. SPEAKER the Chair]
- Oral Answers to Questions — Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (0 speeches)
- Blue Whiting (10 speeches)
asked the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food what discussions he has had with representatives of the fishing industry about fishing for blue whiting.
- Monetary Compensatory Amounts (12 speeches)
asked the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food what progress has been made in agreeing a new system for calculating monetary compensatory amounts.
- Food and Drugs Acts (4 speeches)
asked the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food what progress has been made with his Department's review of the Food and Drugs Acts; and when a consultative document will be published.
- Council of Ministers (13 speeches)
asked the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food when he next expects to have an official meeting with his counterparts in the other EEC member States.
- "Food From Our Own Resources" (16 speeches)
asked the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food whether he will make a statement on his review of the White Paper "Food from Our Own Resources".
- Potato Marketing (12 speeches)
asked the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food what arrangements have been made for the marketing of potatoes grown during the coming season.
- Animals (Exports) (9 speeches)
asked the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food if he will make a statement on the report of the official working group on the export of live animals for food.
- Glasshouse Growers (Fuel Costs) (6 speeches)
asked the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food if he will make a statement on progress made towards the equalisation of the costs of fuel used by glasshouse growers in the United Kingdom...
- Departmental Staff (8 speeches)
asked the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food what was the total number of staff employed in his Department at the latest available date.
- Grain Imports (10 speeches)
asked the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food what tonnage of grain has been imported into the United Kingdom from EEC countries during the last 12 months; and what would have been the...
- Pigmeat (Monetary Compensatory Amounts) (10 speeches)
asked the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food what is the current state of negotiations with regard to the recalculation of pig-meat monetary compensatory amounts.
- TUC (22 speeches)
asked the Prime Minister when he next intends to meet the TUC.
- Prime Minister (Engagements) (12 speeches)
asked the Prime Minister whether he will list his official engagements for 20th April.
- Parliamentary Papers (12 speeches)
(by Private Notice)asked the Lord President of the Council if he will make a statement about the supply of parliamentary papers?
- Business of the House (56 speeches)
May I ask the Leader of the House to state the business for next week?
- Bill Presented (0 speeches)
- Community Service by Offenders (Scotland) (0 speeches)
Mr. Secretary Millan, supported by the Lord Advocate, Mr. Harry Ewing, Mr. Frank McElhone and Mr. Robert Sheldon presented a Bill to make provision as respects the performance of unpaid work by...
- STATUTORY INSTRUMENTS, &c. (1 speech)
By leave of the House, I shall put together the Questions on the three motions relating to Statutory Instruments. Ordered,That the Agricultural Holdings Act 1948 (Variation of Fourth Schedule)...
- Orders of the Day — Supply (0 speeches)
13TH ALLOTTED DAY—considered
- Orders of the Day — National Health Service (183 speeches)
Before I call the right hon. Member for Wanstead and Woodford (Mr. Jenkin), I remind the House that I have an impossibly long list of right hon. and hon. Members who hope to catch my eye in this...
- Business of the House (0 speeches)
Ordered,That the Medical Bill [Lords] may be proceeded with at this day's sitting, though opposed, until any hour.—[Mr. Harper.]
- Orders of the Day — Director of Public Prosecutions (Press Communication) (18 speeches)
- Orders of the Day — MEDICAL BILL [Lords] (0 speeches)
As amended (in the Standing Committee), considered.
- New Clause No. 1 (0 speeches)
- Replacement of Provisions of Part Iii of Medical Act 1956 (4 speeches)
'(1) Subject to the provisions of Part I of Schedule 5 to this Act, on the day appointed for the coming into operation of sections 22 to 28 below— (a) section 25 of the Medical Act 1956...
- New Clause No. 3 (0 speeches)
- Retention Fees (10 speeches)
"There shall be no increase in the General Medical Council retention fees within two years following the passing of this Act "—[Mr. Beith.]
- Clause 1 (0 speeches)
- Constitution of the General Medical Council (8 speeches)
I beg to move Amendment No. 1, in page 2, line 20, leave out 'five' and insert 'four'.
- Clause 3 (0 speeches)
- Branch Councils (5 speeches)
I beg to move Amendment No. 46, in page 5, line 1, leave out Clause 3. This amendment would delete Clause 3, the purpose of which is to set up branch councils under the General Medical Council...
- Clause 5 (0 speeches)
- Guidance on Professional Conduct or Medical Ethics (7 speeches)
I beg to move, Amendment No. 7, in page 6, line 36, leave out "guidance" and insert "advice".
- Clause 6 (0 speeches)
- New Bodies Having Functions with Respect to Professional Conduct and Fitness to Practise (2 speeches)
I beg to move Amendment No. 9, in page 7, line 5, after 'above', insert— '(a) shall secure that a person who sits as a member of the Preliminary Proceedings Committee in the preliminary...
- Clause 12 (0 speeches)
- Restoration of Names to the Register (3 speeches)
I beg to move Amendment No. 10, in page 15, line 18, leave out 'or registered with limited registration'.
- Clause 13 (0 speeches)
- Preliminary Proceedings as to Professional Misconduct and Unfitness to Practise (4 speeches)
I beg to move Amendment No. 12, in page 15, line 41, after "may" insert subject to subsection (3A) below".
- Clause 17 (0 speeches)
- Repeal of Provisions of Part Iii of Medical Act 1956 as to Registration of Commonwealth and Foreign Practitioners (0 speeches)
Amendment made: No. 15, in page 20, line 6, leave out Clause 17.—[Mr. Moyle.]
- Clause 23 (0 speeches)
- Limited Registration: Erasure (3 speeches)
I beg to move Amendment No. 16, in page 25, leave out lines 36 to 42 and insert— (2) If it appears to the General Council, having regard to his performance in a relevant employment, that...
- Clause 27 (0 speeches)
- The Review Board for Overseas Qualified Practitioners (1 speech)
Amendments made: No. 19, in page 28, line 13, leave out from "prescribe" to "such" in line 14 and insert— (b) until the succession day— (i) one member nominated by Her Majesty on the...
- Clause 29 (0 speeches)
- Transitional Provisions Relating to Medical Practitioners with Overseas Qualifications (0 speeches)
Amendment made: No. 21, in page 30, line 7, leave out from the beginning to 'shall' in line 13 and insert— '(1) As from the appointed day until their repeal by this Act, sections 18 and 23...
- Clause 30 (0 speeches)
- Definitions (0 speeches)
Amendments made: No. 22, in page 30, line 43, at end insert— '"the prescribed knowledge and skill", "the prescribed standard of proficiency" and "a prescribed pattern of experience" have...
- Clause 32 (0 speeches)
- Short Title, Citation, Commencement and Extent (0 speeches)
Amendment made: No. 24, in page 31, line 34, after 'above', insert— ',section (Replacement of provisions of Part III of Medical Act 1956) of this Act'.—[Mr. Moyle.]
- Schedule 4 (0 speeches)
- Professional Conduct and Fitness to Practise: Supplementary Provisions (12 speeches)
I beg to move Amendment No. 25, in page 36, line 20, at end insert provided that after a person is accused of an offence no matter likely to lead members of the public to identify the accused in...
- Schedule 5 (0 speeches)
- Transitional Provisions for Overseas Qualified Practitioners (1 speech)
Amendments made: No. 26, in page 42, line 4, leave out from beginning to end of line 7 and insert— '"the repeal date" means the day on which, by virtue of subsection (1) of section...
- 'part Iii (0 speeches)
- Modifications of Enactments During Transitional Period (0 speeches)
- Schedule 6 (0 speeches)
- Minor and Consequential Amendments of Enactments (1 speech)
I beg to move Amendment No. 42, in page 45, line 32, leave out from 'Any' to 'person' in line 33. This is another minor amendment. It limits the number of people who have a right to attend...
- Schedule 7 (0 speeches)
- Repeals (3 speeches)
Amendment made: No. 44, in page 56, line 24, column 3, at end insert— 'Section 15(4) and (5).'.—[Mr. Moyle.]
- Orders of the Day — Council Housing (Insulation) (2 speeches)
Motion made, and Question proposed, That this House do now adjourn.—[Mr. Tinn.]