Welcome to TheyWorkForYou's API section, where you can learn how to query our database for information.
- Get an API key.
- All requests are made by GETting a particular URL with a number of parameters. key is required; output is optional, and defaults to js.
The current version of the API is 1.0.0. If we make changes to the API functions, we'll increase the version number and make it an argument so you can still use the old version.
The output argument can take any of the following values:
If there's an error, either in the arguments provided or in trying to perform the request,
this is returned as a top-level error string, ie. in XML it returns
Usage and Licensing
Low volume, charitable use of the API service itself is free. This means direct use by registered charities, or individuals pursuing a non-profit project on an unpaid basis, with a volume of up to 50,000 calls per year. Please email us at email@example.com for all other use. If you are using the API for a charitable purpose and are unsure of the likely volume please contact us in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parliamentary material (that's data returned from getDebates, getWrans, and getWMS) may be reused under the terms of the Open Parliament Licence. Our own data – lists of MPs, Lords, constituencies and so on – is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license version 2.5.
Please credit us by linking to TheyWorkForYou with wording such as "Data service provided by TheyWorkForYou" on the page where the data is used. This attribution is optional if you've paid for use of the service.
These help you interface with the API more easily in a particular language:
- Ruby (thanks to Bruce Williams and Martin Owen)
- Perl (thanks to Spiros Denaxas)
- PHP (thanks to Ruben Arakelyan)
- Python (thanks to Paul Doran)
- ASP.net (thanks to Ruben Arakelyan)
- Java (thanks to Mitch Kent)
- Clojure (thanks to Andrew Baxter)
- Common Lisp (thanks to James Thompson)
If anyone wishes to write bindings for the API in any language, please do so, let us know and we'll link to it here. You might want to join our public developer mailing list to discuss things.
- Postcode to constituency lookup, with no server side code - use this to add constituency or MP lookup to a form on your website.
- Hansard prettifier - drag this bookmarklet to your bookmarks bar, or bookmark it. Then if you ever find yourself on the official site, clicking this will try and take you to the equivalent page on TheyWorkForYou. (Tested in IE, Firefox, Opera.)
- Matthew's MP Fab Farts - every technology has the capacity to be used for fun.
- Francis' MP Fight telnet text adventure (
and Chris' web version) - battle your way to Sedgefield!
- Your MP - Google Desktop Gadget - with GPL source code